We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big apple greeter - fantastic!

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Big apple greeter - fantastic!

After reading reviews of big apple greeter on trip advisor decided to see if we could get a guide.

We're in New York City as I write this and have spent the most wonderful day in the city with our guide, Lewis.

The places he showed us in one day would probably have taken us two or three! He helped us with confidence in getting around the subway. His knowledge was incredible and he was fun and interesting, never pushy, genuine decent guy. Cannot recommend this guy and big apple greeter highly enough. Wonderful service. Please don't hesitate as soon as you book your first trip to try and get the big apple greeters. They will make your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

Glad to hear you had a great experience, Tracy - thanks for sharing! :)

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

Frangipani7 your city is amazing. Loved it, loved it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

So Awesome...glad you loved it ..loved it.... come back again :) !!!

Murrieta...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

This sounds great...Is "Big Apple Greeter" a tour company? Contact info anyone?

Mentioned in this post
Big Apple Greeter
Big Apple Greeter
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,687 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

http://bigapplegreeter.org/

You could also check out Urban Adventures NY which has themed tours. I took them in Philly & was pleased but probably in no small part because I was the only one on the tour so I could easily customize it with the help of my guide. However, the feedback seems positive.

Mentioned in this post
New York Urban Adventures
New York Urban Adventures
914 Reviews
New York City, NY
Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

What part of New York did Lewis show you? We are trying for a Big Apple Greeter on our next trip this November.

Mentioned in this post
Big Apple Greeter
Big Apple Greeter
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

Hi we had a fabulous greeter on Sunday last week. She took us to a gospel service in Harlem then to Sylvia restaurant, famous for soul food. Terrific organisation, excellent real insights into NYC. Thoroughly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Harlem
Harlem
1,057 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sylvia's Restaurant
Sylvia's Restaurant
1,708 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

I'm confused. It's a free service staffed by volunteers - why did you think he would be pushy?

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

We chose greeters choice on our application form. He emailed us near our trip time and gave us a few suggestions. I would recommend greeters choice and don't be too specific. He took us to Greenwich, flatiron, Washington square, Columbus circle, Central Park,. Etc.... A really good overview of Manhattan. Showed us how to master the subway. Made our trip so much easier with his help. He could have been with us one hour or ten hours, it was up to us. He was not like a typical tour guide. It was tailored to us as individuals. He stayed with us from 10am - 6am. Honestly, can't recommend Lewis and the big apple greeters highly enough. Hope this helps. Ps. You will love New York.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Hotel
Greenwich Hotel
547 Reviews
New York City, NY
Washington Square Hotel
Washington Square Hotel
1,554 Reviews
New York City, NY
Columbus Circle
Columbus Circle
317 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,465 Reviews
New York City, NY
10. Re: Big apple greeter - fantastic!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:15