We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway question

Level Contributor
85 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Subway question

While we are in NYC for 3 days I figure we will take the subway 6-7 trips for the 3 of us. Is there an unlimited 3 day pass that would be less expensive ?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Level Contributor
85 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway question

This will be July 1-3

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway question

There is no 3 day pass. You either pay per ride or buy a 7 day unlimited. The break even point for that is 13 rides, so based on your estimates I would say, pay per ride. Inasmuch as you pay $1 for the actual metro card (no rides) if you get the pay per ride the 3 of you can share one pass. What happens is each person swipes it. Then, if you do a transfer it will say 3xfers and 3 people can get on the bus OR the subway turnstile will work 3 times. You ONLY swipe the card once for the transfer.

Level Contributor
85 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway question

So buy 1 metro card and 21 trips worth? I can add more trips if needed ?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway question

Yes, you use the "add value" feature on the vending machines, or take your card to a staffed booth and get value added there.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 21:07
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway question

Here is a good comparison between the various cards.

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/compare.htm

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway question

Many people underestimate how many times they use the subway when in NYC. Remember, if you go someplace, you have to come back. So you can easily use the sunday 4-5 times/person/day.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway question

Once you plan your itinerary, you can see how many times you might use the subway and/or bus.

Earlier this month, we were in NYC for 4 days; we used our metro card 5 times for each of us, including getting from/to LGA. We love to walk in NYC, and were there for a theater weekend, so much of what we did was within walking distance of our hotel.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway question

Don't forget you can use the metro card on the buses as well, so you get even more value from the unlimited card. Feet are tired? Hop on a bus. Weather turns bad? Hop on a bus. Between buses and subway, I easily use my unlimited card 6 times a day.

9. Re: Subway question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16