We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

Hello

My 13 year old daughter and I will attend the Billy Joel concert Saturday night at Madison Square Garden. We are staying at 340 W 40th st (Staybridge Suite) and want to know if it will be safe to walk down 8th AVE to go to the concert before it gets dark??

How would we get back to hotel when concert is over and dark?

Would it be safe to walk back that late or better to take a cab?

Jersey Boys
Concerts, Theatres, Performances
Carnegie Hall
Theatres, Concerts
B.B. King Blues Club & Grill
Dinner Theatres, Bars & Clubs, Concerts, Blues Clubs & Bars
Joe's Pub
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Concerts
NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

Perfectly safe both ways. You'll be surprised how crowded it is. Just be aware of your surroundings and purse/wallet as you would in any crowd.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

Perfectly safe. You might feel a little more comfortable on 7th Ave than 8th Ave but either one will be very crowded both before and after the show.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

Billy Joel? The city and area will be PACKED. Nothing to worry about.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,590 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

For many years, 8th Ave. in the 40s was the epicenter of the NYC sex trade. Men would stand on the curb facing the buildings as women strutted up and down the sidewalks. These would suddenly vanish when lookouts hooted at the approach of a police car. There were also peep shows and live performance theaters. Fortunately, these are now things of the past, though the memory of them taints 8th Ave. to this day.

Your route will take you through an area of monotonous large buildings formerly used by the garment industry. The shops on the street level often are lunch places for workers. There will likely be many people from the concert headed back to the Port Authority Bus Terminal near your hotel after the concert and you could join the crowd. I suppose you could take the 8th Ave. subway one stop north to 42nd St., but that might be packed and you would have to walk back a few blocks. There is also the M20 bus on the avenue. The crosstown streets in the Garment District tend to be lonely after hours and I would stick to the busier 8th Ave.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

It is perfectly safe. I stayed at The Distrikt Hotel which is next or very near The Staybridge Suites and had no problems

walking late in the evenings. I'm a female and would stay there again.

USA
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

"How would we get back to hotel when concert is over and dark?"

The same way, don't worry about it being dark. That area will be buzzing for a long time after that show ends. You'll be fine, don't sweat it.

7. Re: Walk to Madison Square Garden concert??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:17