We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

Des Moines, Iowa
7 posts
Save Topic
911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

I know we are not able to pre-purchase these tickets anymore but I see that they are offering free tickets beginning at 4pm at the 911 Memorial Museum. Has anyone gone through the process of getting these tickets by standing in line as they begin giving them to people? If so, does the line get pretty backed up? Do the tickets sell out quickly? Do people get there early to try to get those free tickets? If so, how soon do people begin lining up on those Tuesdays?

Thank you. :)

79 replies to this topic
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

I just visited the site the other day, and you can pre-book the museum; however, you don't have to pre-book the Memorial.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

Momma D

As stated above, no tickets/passes are needed to visit the Memorial.

Regarding the newly opened Museum, it's impossible to answer this question when the Museum just opened to the public on Wednesday, May 21st. This Tuesday, May 27th will be the first time that the Museum will have free admission hours available to the public. Considering that the same day tickets have been selling early in the day, I would think that you would have to line up much earlier than 4 pm to have a chance at obtaining one of the free Tuesday afternoon tickets.

In addition I respectfully point out that although the Museum has not set any parameters on who the free tickets will be allotted to, I think those of us traveling from out of town--and can obviously afford airfare and pricey hotels--should consider purchasing tickets to visit the Museum at another time, so as to leave as many free admission tickets as possible available for those who live nearby. After all, I would think there are many New Yorkers who were there that day, and in the aftermath, who might not be able to afford the $24.00 admission and should be given priority, IMO.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

The website states you can book the free tickets 2 weeks prior online.

www.911memorial.org/visit-911-memorial-museum

"Free Admission Tuesdays

Admission is free for all visitors on Tuesday evenings from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. The last entry is at 7 p.m. A limited number of tickets are available for online reservation two weeks in advance of each Tuesday evening starting at 9 a.m. Same day tickets are available at the ticket windows starting at 4 p.m."

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

Agree with Deltawing. I'm not really sure why but as a tourist the thought of getting free tickets just seems wrong.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

As a NY'er, I see no problem with anyone(native NY'er or tourist) taking advantage of the free ticket/time slot.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

FYI local residents were given an opportunity to get free passes to the museum during the preview week before it opened to the public so the free Tuesday tickets are abailable to whoever wants them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

I too don't see why anyone should feel they shouldn't take advantage of the free admission.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

Didn't mean to offend anyone. I think there is a difference between having taken advantage of tickets made available for free last week geared at the affected community vs the very small number that will be available on an ongoing basis. Not every one was able to take advantage of the preview and first day tickets. I still think that those coming to New York from afar, should pay for their museum visits, whether it is the AMNH, the Met, or this Museum. I think exceptions are understandable for those on very limited budgets but not if you can afford $250.00 + per night for a hotel room.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

I don't want to beat this issue to death, but I think anyone traveling to New York should budget to pay for the things they want to do, so I feel about this issue pretty much the way I feel about people who spend $150 for a ticket to Wicked but don't want to spend more than $1 to visit the Metropolitan Museum: if you can afford to travel to New York and stay in a hotel, you ought to be be able to afford the price of admission for the things you want to do here. If you can't afford it, then perhaps you should either (1) skip that attraction, or (2) delay your trip and save some more money.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?

Agree with QQ2, though there are some single moms and people on fixed incomes who take the Bolt Bus, stay in Priceline Rooms and eat from dollar menus who I think should qualify for the Met discount, especially if they've got kids in tow. If you're blowing money on gourmet meals and Broadway shows, pony up.

Reply to: 911 Memorial Museum free tickets on Tuesdays?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted