We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transportation from newark airport?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport transportation from newark airport?

Hello,

I will be arriving to New York on the 30th of june and this will be my first visit to the US. (newark airport)

I've been searching for a car pick up company and everytime I search on it here on tripadvisor they have bad reviews.

So what kinda car service should I use? That's on time and is not a big scam? It seems like there is none when I look at tripadvisor..

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

There is public transportation to NYC from Newark Airport even though the Air train is currently closed for repairs for 75 days, supposedly. There are buses to the Newark, New Jersey, railroad station where you can catch the NJT trains to Penn Station, New York City. Normally one could take the Air train the short distance to station close by the airport and catch trains there. If we knew where you were headed in NYC, perhaps better advice could be given.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

Hello,

We are headed for hilton time square hotel. Since its our first time in new york and after a 8.5 hour flight we would love to avoid the public transportation and have a car service who could Pick us up.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

The Newark Express bus may be of interest as it stops at the Port Authority near your hotel. I have used Dial 7 to go from Newark airport to NYC but was not impressed with them. Others seem to like them. I would take the bus or train rather than the car service.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

Train or bus are preferable.

You can not get a NYC taxi at Newark Airport as the airport is located in another state - New Jersey.

We hear complaints about the local New Jersey taxi's. People say they try to rip them off or hold their luggage hostage trying to get a bigger tip or they try to demand double toll money.

Dial 7 and All State are generally the best - most recommended. I've used both. They're fine. Bear in mind that unlike a meal in a restaurant or an experience in a hotel, people tend not to write reviews of car service / transfer companies unless they've had a bad experience. Hotels and restaurants provide unique experiences and aspects that may have been unexpected (favorable and unfavorable). So, people typically write reviews of restaurants and hotels regardless of whether they had a great, terrible, or middle of the road experience. People don't write reviews of car service to say it was uneventful - they only write when something didn't go right.

www.dial7.com

www.allstatelimo.com

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

We always take a car service. But we don't have them meet us inside - we call when we're there and they usually come pretty promptly - but you can certainly pay extra for meet & greet service.

We've used Dial 7 a few times...we've used their basic service and the "one step up" and did find the "one step up" to be better. They DO charge the tolls both ways which sort of bothers me, but you know that so you can't argue. And you can usually find a discount coupon on-line.

Strusser's is supposed to be very nice if you can swallow the price.

We did not care for Carmel at all.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

absolutely agree with moreffmiles re reviews

I have had good experience with dial7

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

We prefer Dial 7 to all other car service companies. They are fast, good prices, and their drivers are very nice. We have had some bad experiences with Carmel. You can always find coupons for them here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/dial7.com . Good luck!

Almeria, Spain
Level Contributor
397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

This topic could help me.

I have to go from Yotel (570 10th Ave) to Newark airport. I have checked price for a taxi, and it cost 78$ (tolls included).

I've also checked with Dial 7, and it costs 54$ (tolls, gratuity and waiting time excluded).

What would you choose to go to Newark Airport?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

Dial 7 out of those options

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transportation from newark airport?

How would we get from Newark to Harborside Place, Jersey City? I don't know the system that well, but apparently the Hotel is near the next PATH stop after/before Battery Point