We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first draft itinerary help!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
first draft itinerary help!

Hi! I have been very busy planning and would love some feedback! I have some open spots..hopefully for exploring some neighborhoods.

Family of 5 (3 teenage daughters-13, 15 & 18).

June 17-25, flying into LaGuardia (first time flying as a family anywhere!)

staying at Affinia Manhattan

plan to eat 1-2 meals out per day. The rest of the meals will be in our room.

getting 7-day subway pass

17th

plane lands at 10:30, taxi to hotel, check in a leave luggage

lunch-NY Pizza supreme (do some wandering as well!)

grocery store (Gristedes)

move into room and rest and eat an early dinner

5:30/6:00-Rockefeller Center and TOTR

18th

Times Square-no specific plans

lunch-open (suggestions?)

break

thinking Brooklyn Bridge and dinner at Juliana's

19th

SOL 8:00

lunch Crown Cafe (unless someone has a better idea!)

9-11, Wall street

break

dinner in room

8:00 UCB Theatre

20th

High line and Chelsea Market

lunch-Chelsea Market

open

Break

dinner in room

8:00 Alladin New Amsterdam theater

21st

Natural Hist Museum (10-1)

Andy's Deli and picnic in Central park

evening plans open..thinking of National Comedy theater

22nd

MOMA

lunch-?

Soho, Chinatown and little Italy

dinner-suggestions?

23rd

breakfast out somewhere

open

24th

open

thinking Staten Island Ferry

25th

sleep late and check out of hotel

Grand Central Terminal

open

flight leaves at 7:30 pm

I don't want to plan every minute but I don't want to miss any must do's! Thinking of one of the free tours.

Also, would love to visit some thrift/vintage stores.

I have been very over-whelmed (and excited) with planning this trip and would love any help, feed-back, suggestions!

Thank you!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first draft itinerary help!

There is a good restaurant at the entrance of your hotel for breakfast or dinner.

http://www.nilesnyc.com. Remember to tell them you are staying in the hotel to get your discount.

Lots of take out available across in Penn Station if you don't find anything on 7th Avenue to your liking.

18th - Times Square. IMO Times Square is better to be looked around at night and you will be passing it after TOTR on way back to hotel (unless of course you are taking the subway).

Maybe Flatiron and Union Square could be added somewhere. A aerial tram ride over to Roosevelt Island on 21st after Central Park?

3 teenage girls and no shopping?

Edited: 27 May 2014, 18:28
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first draft itinerary help!

Thank you for your reply,

Is there some place in particular I should take them to shop?

Roosevelt island looks cool.

Thank you for the restaurant suggestions!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first draft itinerary help!

I will leave some one else to recommend shopping for teenage girls.

I am from UK and shopping is part of my NY experience. Fifth Avenue is good, Union Square, Soho and the biggest department store in the world - Macy's (although it is not the largest any more - that's in S Korea). If they have specific stores they like at home then look for them on a map and that may help.

Have a great trip.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first draft itinerary help!

I'm assuming you've already booked tickets for Aladdin. If not, check for availability.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first draft itinerary help!

Yes, we have Aladdin tickets. Way up in the balcony!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first draft itinerary help!

**Is there some place in particular I should take them to shop?**

Fifth Avenue is good, Union Square, Soho and the biggest department store in the world - Macy's

^^

All good suggestions. Definitely Broadway below 8th Street. Just walk down and you will find loads of stores and boutiques.

Also, this might be fun:

www.coneyisland.com/programs/mermaid-parade

Also, take a look at this thread for additional things to do:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7454507…

Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: first draft itinerary help!

Since you're planning on going to Soho, convenient shopping can be found by getting off the subway at the Broadway/Lafayette stop (B, D, and F trains stop here; M stops here only on weekdays) and walking south on Broadway. You'll notice a lot of big box stores and if you're adventurous, you can venture onto some of the side streets for boutique shops. If you keep walking south, you'll run into Canal Street putting you in Chinatown.

Unless you're planning on an activity in Staten Island, you might want to consider going to Governor's Island for a picnic and some history instead (www.govisland.com/html/visit/calendar.shtml). The ferry to Governor's Island leaves from a separate building adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry. They recently instituted a $2 round trip fare for this ferry, but it is waived on some of the Saturday and Sunday AM trips.

Penelope (http://www.penelopenyc.com/index.html) is a local favorite known for casual chic decor. It is walking distance (by NYC standards) from Grand Central Station and if you can fit it into your itinerary, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first draft itinerary help!

Thank you for the replies and the information.

My husband and middle daughter are interested in the mermaid walk but I am not sure if I want to fight the crowds. We have a zombie walk here in Memphis that we will attend this weekend.:)

Glad to get info on some shopping areas. My girls have been saving money for a year now.

The tram to Roosevelt Island looks pretty awesome. Both Governor's Island and Roosevelt Island look like something we could work into our itinerary.

Thank you for the advice!

(I assume there were no terrible issues with our itinerary, right?)

9. Re: first draft itinerary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16