We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to shop

Boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where to shop

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are meeting up in NYC for a few day come this July. I know NYC is famous for it's shopping. I've there many times and some how always seem to only find the same stores that are in every US city (and Canada now). I'd love to have the shopping experience that is unique to NYC. What neighborhoods and or streets should we check out. I'm mainly thinking of clothing and jewelry.

I did a quick "shopping" search of the forum however most of the posts are pretty old.

Thanks!!

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to shop

Go to the big Macys, is huge. Also go to Bloomingdales. Walk across 5th Av, Madison Av and Lexington Av from around 42nd st and up.

You can also go to Century 21

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to shop

If you want the "unique boutiques" you need to troll up and down Madison Ave in the Upper East side or the enclaves of the Villages and Soho. Shopping ranges a whole "gamut" from high end luxury to independent and avant garde. You want something not found in other cities, the cutting edge place is the Commes de Garcon mini department store Dover Street Market http://newyork.doverstreetmarket.com/

Or Opening Ceremony in Soho.

Jewelry: Harry Winston?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to shop

Really, I would skip Macy's and most of the dept stores if you are looking for "unique."

You didn't mention your price range. High end/mid range/budget?

Prince Street(off Broadway) and the side streets have loads of places to shop. Also the suggestions above by WEQueen.

Boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to shop

Mid range is my budget, however it is always fun to go in all sorts of shops! Thank you for your input!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,011 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to shop

For jewelry, it's an experience to shop on 47th St between 5th & 6th Aves.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to shop

http://www.brooklynflea.com Vintage and unique items can be found here. I always end up with a cool piece of jewelry.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to shop

…racked.com/archives/2014/05/20/nycs_38_best…

Boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to shop

Great link! Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to shop

If you go to Soho, stick to the quieter streets, you'll find more unique stores there (essentially walk the east to west streets rather than up and down the avenues). I really enjoy West Village/Greenwich and the Lower East Side. These are not as upscale as high end 5th Ave, but have a boutique local feel in unique areas that you may enjoy as well.

Boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to shop

Thanks!