We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

east coast

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
east coast

Hi Everyone,

We are reaching NYC on July 23 and will be there for 19 days. We want to definitely visit NYC, Washington and Orlando. If time permits we would also like to see Boston and Niagara. We are not touch and go travellers and like to explore a city well. We are also theme park buffs and would like to spend some time in Orlando. Could you kindly suggest an itinerary?

Thanks a lot in advance..

NC
Level Contributor
944 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: east coast

Are you planning on flying down to Florida or renting a car and driving to Florida?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: east coast

Consider flying into Boston and out of Orlando, or vice versa. Also give some thought to skipping Niagra, as it does not work so well with your other choices. Trains work well from Boston to NY, to Washington. Orlando is a plane ride.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: east coast

FIRST NYC

I would do NYC first to make sure you get it in. Here is an easy must do list with a decent nightlife calendar at the end-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Also here is some food options to add in if you would like-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

&

Some decent full service options for food-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

NEXT WASHINGTON DC-

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g28970-Washington_DC…

The train is the fastest way from NYC to DC (Not all the airport time waiting for a short flight) Acela is the fastest train to DC-

http://www.amtrak.com/acela-express-train

THEN ORLANDO-

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34515-Orlando_Flori…

you can fly from DC if you want www.kayak.com is a good multi site flight search, but I would do flight and then look for hotel deals on this site or www.travelzoo.com

After you get back if you have time for Boston then Niagra that would be the way to go

Happy planning & (most importantly) Have Fun!

Edited: 28 May 2014, 02:53
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,705 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: east coast

There's not much to see in Niagara Falls besides the Falls. There are options in the area like Niagara on the Lake & Toronto but Niagara Falls by itself is an overnight trip at best.

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: east coast

Thanks. We are flying to NYC - JFK. We were advises to fly to Orlando and take a park hotel rather than drive around. Is that prudent?

Singapore
Level Contributor
32 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: east coast

Thanks a lot! this is really useful. My boys ( husband and son) is not too keen on Niagara as they feel its a water fall like any other. I wanted to visit boston for the Universities. you being a NYC expert- how many days do you think we need in the city to really explore. Also same for Washington and orlando.

Again Thanks a lot! really appreciate your expert inputs.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: east coast

I would say as many days as possible - ideally 5-7

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: east coast

I agree with skipping Niagra -- it's way out of the way. Whether you do Boston or not, Chris' suggestion of what's known here as an "open jaw" ticket is an excellent one. In any case, there is excellent treain service for all points between Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and DC. While Acela is fast, due to track speed restrictions it's not actually that much faster and it's very expensive. Most tourists use the regular train service www.amtrak.com and there is also very good bus service between those cities if you're on a budget

I would suggest posting your Orlando questions on the Orlando forum

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: east coast

I agree about skipping Niagara Falls. However, IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, then you could incorporate Niagara Falls with a trip to Toronto. Niagara Falls is indeed "just a waterfall" but it is pretty spectacular.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: east coast

"theme park buffs" - Orlando has Disney and all of its variations as well as Universal Studios and SeaWorld.

In the NYC area, Six Flags Great Adventure is about an 1.5 hour drive away in Jackson, NJ. There is another, a bit smaller Six Flags in Springfield Massachusetts, that's a bit over 1.5 hours away from Boston.