We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel recommendation please around NYC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Motel recommendation please around NYC

I'll be visiting NYC next month and looking for a cheap motel say around $50-$80/night. I'll be driving but I plan on taking the subway to get around. So a motel close by a station would be nice but not mandatory. Also somewhat safe area to, I plan on visiting manhattan, Brooklyn, queens. If you have any recommendations please it would be most appreciated and thank you.

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

I'm sorry, Kalanute, but you are simply not going to find any hotel in NYC (because we don't really have motels here) for that price -- or at least, any that you would want to stay in. Your budget isn't realistic; I think you need another plan.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

<<$50-$80/night>> ??

In one of the most expensive cities in the world? I don't think you can even get a hostel for so little amount of money.

In any case, the ones in the know will be along.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

Hotel costs fluctuate a lot based on supply and demand and June is one of the priciest times of the year. In Jan., you can find things at that price. In June, it will likely be a dump, inconveniently located or a hostel with shared bathroom. Needing parking generally adds to the cost. The Floral Park Motor Lodge might come close to your budget and does have free parking, but rather than the subway, you will need to use the Long. Island Railroad commutere train to get in and out of Manhattan which is a bit more expenisve.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47727-d99248-R…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

Nywhiz thank you so much, I will check that motor lodge. Do you know any motels on the jersey side? If so that would be great, also what means of transportation should I take from the jersey side to get to manhattan?? Many thanks

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,062 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

"Do you know any motels on the jersey side"

It will be very tough to meet that budget in NJ, I should think. Plus you'd have to factor in at least $9/day round trip travel, very likely more. Even the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus starts at $105. You can hit your target rate if you stay maybe in Edison (eg redroof.com/property/… ), an hour away but then you have to pay even more to commute in by train (roughly $25/round trip for adults)

Edited: 28 May 2014, 21:56
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

As you were told on another thread, New Jersey is a STATE and which means of transport depends on where in NJ you stay. Mny locations where you might find cheaper rooms are very inconvenient amd either are not near public transport, or require using buses that are subject to traffic delays. Staying further away for a cheaper rate often is penny wise and pound foolish.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 22:36
Bay Area
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

I've had good luck with inexpensive in Queens. Check out the Best Western Jamaica Inn and the Sleep Inn Jamaica.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

I should note, not as inexpensive as you are looking for, but under $100 for each, and they each include breakfast, which was quite satisfactory at the Sleep Inn. Not staying at the Best Western until next month.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

There are some "motels" notably in the Bronx that are better known for their hourly rates if you get my meaning. There was also an older motel near LGA that was used for homeless families at one point. Be careful in your selection.

NJ
Level Contributor
552 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motel recommendation please around NYC

Use priceline. Sometimes I get good 3 star hotels in Midtown for $89.