We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days to Fill....

London, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days to Fill....

I'm from the UK and have been to NYC many times over the past 30 years.

So, I'm looking for any 'alternative' (but not too wild !) suggestions for things to do on a late June 10-day stay please (middle-age/single/straight male).

My main reason for the trip is 4 x Yankees evening home-games booked (so far !) for a 'farewell' to Derek Jeter (I hope he's not on the DL !); 1 x Orioles/3 x Red Sox.]

In the past I've been up the Empire SB, S of Lib, toured the UN bldg, visited MoMA, strolled around Flushing M Corona Park (eg view the MiB 'spaceship' !) and done a C'Line cruise for example so they're not really 'repeat' options - but that hopefully gives you an idea of the range of my interests....

I've pencilled-in a 'Rock' viewpoint trip, a day-trip to Philly (only passed through there before) and a few relaxing Staten Island ferry trips for general viewing etc - but that thankfully still leaves me plenty of spare time to fill, esp as I've no great interest in shopping !

So any more suggestions please ?

MLB are all night games, but I'm also considering a Broadway show - so any specific suggestions please ? Esp buying a cheap'ish ticket (funds depleted buying Yankees tickets !) - my hotel is in the Seaport area and I understand there's a discount booth in that region....???

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Empire Hotel
Empire Hotel
6,538 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,442 Reviews
New York City, NY
Flushing
Flushing
Queens, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,653 Reviews
New York City, NY
Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

Here are some ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7454507…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

how about the tenement museum or the intrepid? and it looks like you've done MoMA but not the Met or cloisters - the cloisters is especially nice in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,442 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

Ta very much, shall investigate look at Cloisters/Ten/Met - done Intrepid twice before (my initial list was limited examples !).

Edited: 28 May 2014, 16:18
Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

If you are a museum-goer, the Cloisters is a great idea. The Frick is another alternative in Upper East Side that is beautiful, essentially an art collector/lover who turned his home into a beautiful collection. The home itself is impressive.

The Highline is a long train line that has been modified into a long park that extends along the west side from 10-30th street. Could go check that out! It's become a very popular tourist spot.

Broadway shows there are many.... would help if we knew what you like. There's always the classics like Les Mis and Phantom of the Opera which are frequently on sale at TKTS. Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder is hilarious and has 10 Tony nominations. Book of Mormon is a guaranteed hit but expensive. There are never any tickets at TKTS for this show, but if you have time, you COULD go wait at the theatre box office and line up for rush/lottery tickets.

Also towards the end of June there are piles of concerts and festivals around the city that you can gander at. =) Just have to check with your dates.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 16:58
Mentioned in this post
Upper East Side
Upper East Side
231 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Phantom of the Opera
The Phantom of the Opera
5,735 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Book of Mormon
The Book of Mormon
3,447 Reviews
New York City, NY
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

Central park!!

The Met

Intrepid Museum

Top of the Rock

Discovery Times Sq (the art of brick exhibit is great)

Radio city stage tour

Lincoln center

Grand central station

9/11 memorial

NYSE building

Coney island

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,294 Reviews
New York City, NY
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,381 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
chicago
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

I hear parts of Brooklyn are nice. Not sure if you are interested in flea markets, but they have a few.

http://www.brooklynflea.com/

http://www.smorgasburg.com/

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
London, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

8. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 13:03
9. Re: 10 Days to Fill....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:17