We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

Anyone have any recommendations for a place to grab a quick, light breakfast and coffee near our hotel (The Marlton) at 5 W 8th Street. We don't necessarily want a big heavy breakfast every morning. A cute diner or a french pastry shop would be ideal. Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

You can head east toward 5th ave, there is a coffee/pastry place on corner of 8th st and 5th ave; or Walk west toward 6th avenue; there a couple of places on your street (8th street). also go north when you reach 6th avenue; there are a couple of diners there as well.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

^^ The place at the corner of 5th Avenue & 8th Street is a Le Pain Quotidien. There are also a number of little places along 8th Street as well as one avenue east, along University.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

you're in a fantastic neighborhood for small food establishments. a search on www.yelp.com in your area brought up no less than 30 possibilities. just filter the results by high ratings and the mention of "french bakery" or "french pastries" in the reviews. this would be a great opportunity to try a different bakery on most mornings. personally, i would avoid the diners since those are a dime a dozen in the states. enjoy!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

If you want a diner there's Cozy Soup & Burger. Go east on 8th and turn right on Broadway and it's a few doors down. I'm not sure what a "cute" diner would be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

Thank you to everyone for your input. I forgot about using Yelp as a search tool. Good advice, thanks ogpiggie. Jane 235, a "cute" diner would look like it came straight off the set of American Graffiti, I guess :) Cozy Soup and Burger sounds like it might fit the bill! And if it doesn't "look" like American Graffiti, that's OK too. And if all else fails, Le Pain Quotidien will do the trick. Thanks All!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

Stumptown on 8th Street has amazing coffee. They might have pastries as well, but I usually don't eat before noon. There is a classic and good diner at Waverly and 6th (The Waverly Restaurant, naturally) though nothing about a diner can be classified as "light"

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

marlton downstairs has light breakfast. also matsunosuke across the street towards 6th ave has chiffon pancakes.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

I prefer Cozy Soup & Burger to Waverly Diner. There's also breakfast in the restaurant of the Washington Square Hotel. I think the prices are really reasonable for a non-diner sit down breakfast. West on 8th. Turn left/south on MacDougall, go one short block. Entrance is on the corner.

www.northsquareny.com/menu-breakfast.php

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

There are two amazing little wine bars on the same block as The Marlton.

One is 8th Street Wine Cellar - amazing. It is probably one of the best wine bars in all of New York City.

Amelie is another excellent wine bar and it is almost directly across from The Marlton (a little to the right when you're standing in the lobby looking across the street).

Stumptown Coffee is excellent.

LePainQuotidien is excellent for a light breakfast and it is almost next door.

You should make reservations in advance for dinner at Mario Batali's Otto Enoteca (just across 8th St. and across 5th Ave. - less than a one minute walk from the hotel - this is a real destination restaurant with extremely reasonable prices - reserve in advance)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Light Breakfast place near 5 W 8th Street?

MoreFFmiles, do you need reservations for lunch at Otto? I've been meaning to go there (would be solo so could sit at the bar if there is one) but keep forgetting about it.