We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Aarhus, Denmark
2 posts
Save Topic
Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Hi

We (family of 4, kids age 15 and 5) are planning a trip to New York this summer (july), and we are considering staying arround Spruce Street. But we are a bit concerned that this area is more or less "dead" in the evening. Would you recommend against staying in this area with a family?

best regards

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Seems to be pretty close to Tribeca, one of my favourite areas in NYC, where you'll find a bunch of places to eat for example.

What's the name of the hotel you're considering there? I must've missed it when looking for places to stay when doing searches in the area. I'm always looking for recommendations in the area for my nex trip (hopefully next year, if I can save up enough money to return).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Lots more people living in that area now vs 5-10 years ago.

I would stay there if you got a good deal with a hotel. You can get anywhere in NYC by subway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

I don't think there are any hotels on Spruce Street?? It's a short street, goes from Park Row (City Hall Park) to Gold Street, where it dead ends at one of those big Mitchell-Lama-type mid-20th-century apartment complexes. Along its 2-3 block stretch, Spruce Street mostly goes past Pace University and NY Downtown Hospital.

Aarhus, Denmark
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Hi

Thank you for your replys. It's not in a hotel (should have stated that in my first post, sorry). I have the opportunity to stay in an apartment in the New York by Gehry apartment building.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

**I have the opportunity to stay in an apartment in the New York by Gehry apartment building.**

Are you aware the vacation apartment rentals in NYC for less than 30 days are illegal...and some area scams?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

I hope you have read the second thread on the right hand side of this page under Top Questions on New York City that vacation apartment rentals under 30 days are illegal. Hate to have you arrive and not have a place to stay or worse, evicted in the middle of your visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,458 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Don't do it - People who chance this, especially with children, are taking a huge risk. The city is on a tear about these illegal rentals and neighbors are reporting people that do not live in the building - just take the smart, safe route and get a hotel or hotel that has rooms with kitchen if need be.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

I know that building. That is strictly residential (well the upper half). I hope you are guests of the residents who are staying in the apartment at the same time you are there. Otherwise, it could be an "Oh dear" situation. That said, across Broadway is Tribeca with nightlife and restaurants galore and lots of kid stuff going on.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

Its not a terribly lively area until you go over to Tribeca which is a few blocks away. And as above posters have noted,if you are staying in a short term rental,it is illegal and may not exist at all. We had this problem in our building but happily,all the tenants that were using their apartments as hotel rooms were evicted. Unless you are a personal guest of whoever is the legal occupant of the apartment,you are staying in an illegal rental

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lower Manhattan (FiDi) "dead" in the evening?

In the 1970s, Soho was completely desolate on weekends. People could hardly believe that today, but the city changes. The same is true of the financial district. Some of the older office buildings have been converted to apartments in addition to the large Battery Park City development. Stone Street near Hanover Square has a lively bar scene and there are other signs of "life" in the area. The area around the Stock Exchange and Broadway is full of tourists every day.