We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation

Looking for restaurant recommendation.

Meeting up with my best friend and her husband, whose last night in Manhattan is our first.

Were staying at the Verve in Long Island and they're at the Distrikt on 40th(?) so prefer somewhere accessible to them and near a easy subway line for us.

We like steaks or Italian, but open to other suggestions. Preferably no more than $80 per person for 3 courses (maybe $30-40 main course)

Any recommendations? I've tried trawling trip advisor, but it's a hard way to do it.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Very close to the Distrikt is Mercato, a great little Italian place. It's on W39th / 9th Ave. From LIC I think you could take the 7 to Times square/42nd St and it's not much of a walk from there.

This is the menu: http://tinyurl.com/ly73xf3

NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Malony & Porcello in midtown near St. Patricks does a prefix wine dinner on the weekends. $79.99 per person + tax & tip but if you like wine it's a deal.

I also like the King's Carriage House in the 80s off 2nd Avenue.

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Thanks for both those suggestions

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation

If you eat early (must sit by 6:30 I think) Capital Grille in the Time Life building, not that far from the Istrikt, does a 3 course dinner for $39...entree options are steak, salmon, lamb chops..they,re known for their steak. Basso56 for Italian is another idea.

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation

We have no problem eating early. Our friends will likely want an early night as they need to be at the airport by 5.30am! Will they try and rush us through our dinner though? I know some places do for prix fixe.

Basso56 reads very well too though, think we'd definitely eat there or at Mercato just as a couple. One of the reviews of Basso56 on TA surprised me though by commenting on the expense, looking at the menu online seems reasonable...

Thanks nywhiz

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I don't know whether they will try to rush you at Capital Grille. I would phone them and ask. Say you're coming for the pre theater dinner but are not going to a ahow. Ask what time you have to be seated in order to order off that menu and if there's a time by which you need to vacate the table. You can always move to the bar for an after dinner drink if they need the table.

7. Re: Restaurant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:17