We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian Food by Weight

Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian Food by Weight

Hi, in the city I am I live in, we have a few vegetarian restaurants that are like a buffet but you pay by weight. I also encountered one in London. The ones I've been to are quite popular and was wondering if NYC has any like this? Thanks 😊

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,815 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian Food by Weight

NYC has a large number of (mostly Korean-run) delis with steam tables in the back full of hot food where you pay by weight. In midtown Manhattan, they're every few blocks. For a higher quality option, all Whole Foods stores also have a grand variety of pay-by-weight hot and cold food items, as well as big seating areas to enjoy the food in. That said, I can't think of any of these places being exclusively vegetarian, although it's certainly easy enough to just pick out vegetarian options from the buffets.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian Food by Weight

Ok great. Thanks. We gave been to the whole foods several times at Columbus circle. The best whole foods by far compared to others I have been to. I'll look into the Korean ones.

Mentioned in this post
Columbus Circle
Columbus Circle
315 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian Food by Weight

Honestly, you can end up spending more paying by weight than if you eat at a restaurant. It depends on whether you prefer light weight foods (like lettuce) vs heavier foods (like potatoes, tofu, beans, pasta salads or even tomatoes) :-) There are loads of vegetarian friendly restaurants in NYC.

That said, I agree that Whole Foods offers great choices, and that there are lots of neighborhood markets with vegetarian friendly food bars that can work. Be sure to check what they have in the "priced by item" cases as well. You can avoid the weight penalty for heavier foods.

4. Re: Vegetarian Food by Weight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 06:17