We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

Минск
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

Can anyone share a link to a reliable source of LH baggage fees on US flights?

My baggage weight was 31 kg (1 item) on flight from Newark to Frankfurt LH403. On lufthanza website they quote 50 Euros for overweight and 75 euros for additional baggage item.

HOWEVER upon arrival to airport, they weighed my case and it was 31 kgs, and I was charged $150 for that.

The printed out tickets that I had with me quoted 75 Euros for additional baggage item up to 23 kg (which is $100), so I objected. But lufthanza person said that in U.S. they have dollars and not euros, and 75 Eur translates to 150 USD, period.

I cannot find that sum on lufthansa website.

So, just wanted to know how wrong I was and how can I dispute this payment (I guess, its impossible :) )

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,680 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

I don't know the answer to your question but 75 euros is not, as you know, $150 - it is $102.00 - have you spoken to them since you returned to sort it out? I assume you have evidence of the 31kg and the payment you made? If not, not sure how you would work it out.

It may be that that person is ignorant as to actual currency exchange rate and that is really unacceptable. I would certainly call them and ask them about your options for challenging this over-payment.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

I looked into that for my recent flight with them from the USA to Europe: www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/local…

Under the graph you see links to the baggage fees according to when you purchased your ticket.

Минск
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

Thanks. Found $150 in pdf over there lufthansa.com/mediapool/…media_1517929785.pdf

This applies for Intercontinental flights, that I indeed had.

I was not aware that 75 Eur rate applies for within-europe flights only (and not sure why they quote 75 eur on my booking printout since it was known to be Intercontinental from the very beginning).

Egypt
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

are they very strict or they can accept like 1 KG more without charges ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

You may also look into packing an extra bag instead of having a heavy bag. I think it is generally cheaper unless you already have 3 checked bags.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

Yankidoddles---there is no such a thing as generalizing if an airline is strict or not. All you need is one strict gate agent and if the others are lenient--it does you no good. They could all be lenient today, but tomorrow a directive goes out indicating that there is no leeway. Bottom line, if you go over, be prepared to pay!

7. Re: Lufthansa luggage overwheight fees from US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:15