We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Newark Airport

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
JFK to Newark Airport

Hi,

I am travelling to JFK airport in 2 weeks time and I need to get to Newark Airport as that is where I am meeting other people. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a route, via train or bus, that I could do. I was planning on using the AirTrain but have just read that this is closed.

Thank you for your help.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

The only thing that's closed is the AirTrain connection from the train station in Newark to Newark airport, and there's a shuttle bus replacing it. It's still the best way, just be aware that it will take close to two hours.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

Thanks BrooklynBrdge.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,431 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

Where is your group going after meeting? There may be more convenient meeting locations than Newark Airport.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

JFK Airtrain; then Manhattan-bound E train to 34th St-Penn Station; then "New Jersey Transit" commuter train to Newark Penn Station, then special Airport shuttle bus (one ticket for both NJT and bus). Total cost = 5 + 2.50 + 12.50 = $21.

www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tecur.pdf

www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv…

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

Almost every singe NJ Transit train goes to Newark. DO NOT TAKE an Amtrak train, The price is much more; it's like taking the Eurostar to Stratford.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 16:21
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

Actually I have done it.

I took Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Penn Station from JFK as it is my preferred mode of transportation from Manhattan to JFK. It is considerably faster also.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

To clarify, the Long Island RR train leaves from "Jamaica", which you have to take the $5 JFK Airtrain to. It's right next to the subway (like Tube) station where the "E" train leaves from, just a regular commuter railroad to Penn Station (a little like Ealing Broadway to Paddington, but one is on the ground, and one is below ground). It costs a couple of dollars more to ride it but it is faster.

One advantage of the E train is that is stops at the NJ Transit end of Penn Station (8th Avenue). The LIRR stops at the opposite end of the station (7th Avenue). But there are easy connecting passageways.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

Auden, we are hiring a car from a rental near Newark Airport and heading to Niagara falls. So unfortunately will need to make the trip there.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

Thanks NorthofDC and idrinkwater. I will make a note of both of these ways.

9. Re: JFK to Newark Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:17