I am travelling to NYC with my Mum a fortnight tomorrow to celebrate her 60th birthday. I have got lots of useful information from this fantastic forum and posted a rough itinerary a few weeks ago. After more research and reading peoples' comments and trip reports, we now have an almost complete itinerary. There's just a few questions I have, if anyone can help me I would be very grateful.
Arrive at JFK. Take Airtrain to Jamaica and E train to Lexington/57th. Check in at Doubletree Metropolitan and freshen up. Head out to Times Square to have the obligatory look around. If we are hungry pop in to John's Pizza for a slice and then find somewhere nice to have cocktail..... possibly 'The Roof' in the Viceroy hotel? Or if we are really tired and don't fancy food perhaps a cocktail at the Pod 51 Rooftop bar?
- Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock
Q) How is it best to book for this? Before we leave for NYC? Or is it best to wait until we are there and ask the concierge to help us on the Thursday night when we arrive?
- Grand Central Station
- NY library
- Byrant Park - Grab a sandwich at the Craftwich stands.
- Cocktail at Top of the Strand.
-MOMA - making use of the free 4pm til 8pm deal.
- Back to hotel to freshen up.
- Dinner and drinks in the Hell's Kitchen area.
Q) It's so hard to judge what time it will be by now and how we will be feeling due to jet lag. Is it essential to book for food? Can anyone recommend places that are good for just turning up? Asian/fusion/Italian/seafood budget-mid cost.
- Head down to Staten Ferry to see SOL.
Q) I'm assuming that so far we won't need to have used the subway (apart from arrival on Thurs) ? But I think we will probably use it quite a lot on this day? Can you get day passes? Would this be worthwhile? What subway would we need to get from our hotel down to the ferry?
- Get Subway from Battery Park to Brooklyn. Walk back across the bridge.
Q) Which Subway would we need?
- 9/11 memorial. Can we walk from the Brooklyn bridge to the memorial or would a subway be best?
- Wander round Greenwich Village. Lunch here?
Q) Again, is this walkable from 9/11/ memorial? Is a casual 'wander' okay or do we need to be more precise as to where we are going?!
- Highline. Get off at Chelsea Market.
- From end of the Highline, head to back to our hotel using the subway.
- freshen up and head out.....Hell's Kitchen again? Possibly go to Rodeo bar as they have a Rockabilly night.
Explore Central Park
- Strawberry Fields
- Bow Bridge
- Bethesda Fountain
- Alice in Wonderland Statue
- Belvedere Castle
Q) Would it be worth hiring out bikes and seeing a bit more?
- Shopping - not fussed about this but will have a quick scout around Macy's/Bloomingdale's.
-earlyish night as we have to get up at 3.30am.
Q) My Mum wants some funky vintage shoes to wear for her 60th birthday party we are having when we are home. Would Chelsea Market/Greenwich village be good for this? Or other recommendations?
Sorry, there are so many questions!! Thank you in advance for any help!