We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

Hi there,

I am travelling to NYC with my Mum a fortnight tomorrow to celebrate her 60th birthday. I have got lots of useful information from this fantastic forum and posted a rough itinerary a few weeks ago. After more research and reading peoples' comments and trip reports, we now have an almost complete itinerary. There's just a few questions I have, if anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

Thursday:

Arrive at JFK. Take Airtrain to Jamaica and E train to Lexington/57th. Check in at Doubletree Metropolitan and freshen up. Head out to Times Square to have the obligatory look around. If we are hungry pop in to John's Pizza for a slice and then find somewhere nice to have cocktail..... possibly 'The Roof' in the Viceroy hotel? Or if we are really tired and don't fancy food perhaps a cocktail at the Pod 51 Rooftop bar?

Friday:

- Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock

Q) How is it best to book for this? Before we leave for NYC? Or is it best to wait until we are there and ask the concierge to help us on the Thursday night when we arrive?

- Grand Central Station

- NY library

- Byrant Park - Grab a sandwich at the Craftwich stands.

- Cocktail at Top of the Strand.

-MOMA - making use of the free 4pm til 8pm deal.

- Back to hotel to freshen up.

- Dinner and drinks in the Hell's Kitchen area.

Q) It's so hard to judge what time it will be by now and how we will be feeling due to jet lag. Is it essential to book for food? Can anyone recommend places that are good for just turning up? Asian/fusion/Italian/seafood budget-mid cost.

Saturday

- Head down to Staten Ferry to see SOL.

Q) I'm assuming that so far we won't need to have used the subway (apart from arrival on Thurs) ? But I think we will probably use it quite a lot on this day? Can you get day passes? Would this be worthwhile? What subway would we need to get from our hotel down to the ferry?

- Get Subway from Battery Park to Brooklyn. Walk back across the bridge.

Q) Which Subway would we need?

- 9/11 memorial. Can we walk from the Brooklyn bridge to the memorial or would a subway be best?

- Wander round Greenwich Village. Lunch here?

Q) Again, is this walkable from 9/11/ memorial? Is a casual 'wander' okay or do we need to be more precise as to where we are going?!

- Highline. Get off at Chelsea Market.

- From end of the Highline, head to back to our hotel using the subway.

- freshen up and head out.....Hell's Kitchen again? Possibly go to Rodeo bar as they have a Rockabilly night.

Sunday:

Explore Central Park

- Strawberry Fields

- Bow Bridge

- Bethesda Fountain

- Loeb Central Park Boathouse

- Alice in Wonderland Statue

- Belvedere Castle

Q) Would it be worth hiring out bikes and seeing a bit more?

Lunch...somewhere??!

- Shopping - not fussed about this but will have a quick scout around Macy's/Bloomingdale's.

-earlyish night as we have to get up at 3.30am.

Q) My Mum wants some funky vintage shoes to wear for her 60th birthday party we are having when we are home. Would Chelsea Market/Greenwich village be good for this? Or other recommendations?

Sorry, there are so many questions!! Thank you in advance for any help!

1. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 13:03
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

No day passes for the subway.

Calne, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

"- Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock

Q) How is it best to book for this? Before we leave for NYC? Or is it best to wait until we are there and ask the concierge to help us on the Thursday night when we arrive?"

I don't know if you are a Quidco user at all but we booked our TOTR tickets with Attractiontix through Quidco (not timed tickets but figured we didn't want to restrict ourselves to a time) and they worked out cheaper than buying them anywhere else that we could find.

We are also headed to NY in 2 weeks with my MIL for her 70th birthday (she is from Yarmouth so not far from you). We plan to visit the Highline on Saturday also, hoping for a nice day.

As far as the Subway tickets are concerned, you might be as well buying the 7-day passes - at $30 each they are not too badly priced and you may find it useful to be able to hop on a bus or train if needed.

As far as which subway trains to use, I have been plotting out our routes using Google maps, clicking on the 'walk' or 'public transport' options as necessary to get an idea of which trains we will need to catch. It also is handy because it tells you how many stops and gives you approximate timings.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

Thanks ZTACS, perhaps we will rethink TS on arrival and move MOMA to Sunday. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks TER1413.

Thanks WILMA-BRIDE, will look into Quidco, haven't heard of it before. Perhaps a weekly ticket would be our best bet then. And you can use the bus with that too? Thanks for the tip re Google maps, very useful. What a coincidence re your MIL.....I was brought up in Gorleston, part of the GY borough!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

For Saturday, this is what I would do:

6 train from 51st Street to Grand Central/42nd Street. Transfer on the same platform for the 4 down to Bowling Green. You can walk to the ferry entrance from there.

SOL > Walk North after(Broadway is a nice street to walk) to the 9/11 Memorial > Take the A or C train from Fulton Street to High Street in Brooklyn. You can then walk back over the Bridge towards the city > You can then head to the Village for lunch(or even have lunch in Brooklyn) > Highline.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

Hiring bikes for Central Park would let you cover more distance, but bike riding is limited to only certain paths (mostly perimeter). The only way to travel the interior paths is on foot.

For vintage clothing, I noticed a lot of funky vintage shops in East Village. I didn't go in, so can't comment on the shoe situation.

Chelsea Market is mostly about food, with just a small number of other shops.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

Great TER1413, thanks for that detail re the subways.

Thanks Christnp2, perhaps we won't bother with bikes then. Great will add East Village to the itinerary.

8. Re: Itinerary sorted....just a few questions about details?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:17