We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation

Hi

I dont need any negative comments please. We are staying in Philadelphia for the Mummers Parade and would like to attend the NYE celebration in Times Square. The question that I have is what would be the easiest mode of transportation? Amtrak is out of the question as they do not have a returning train until 5am. We were thinking of driving our car either to a subway station or a parking garage. I know I am in for a very long 2 days but my daughter is 16 and has been bugging me to do this for a few years.

Thank you

Beth

Mentioned in this post
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Drive your car to a subway station in NYC? That won't work.

How long will you be in NYC? Just for the night(NYE) or are you planning to leave right after the ball drop?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,077 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

There's a nice positive way to open your first post on the forum. :)

Have you looked into the New Jersey Transit schedules with a change at Trenton? Not sure what that would be like after NYE in Times Square in terms of crowds but maybe it's an option.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

On New Year's Morning, NJ Transit runs hourly trains all night down to Trenton. If you have a car, I'd say drive it to Trenton and take the train from there. That way you don't have to deal with the Septic System (SEPTA, I mean) and you also don't have to drive anywhere near NYC.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

And PLEASE do some research on NYE in Times Square and make sure both of you know what you are in for....

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

You've also misread the Amtrak schedule. There's a train that leaves NY Penn Station at 3 a.m. and arrives in Philadelphia at 4:35 a.m.

Agree that driving to a NJ Transit station makes sense, unless you don't expect to be in driving condition after the festivities. Hamilton would be my first choice if you wanted something fairly close to Philadelphia. There's a large parking garage there with good highway access.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 21:30
Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

I would not want to drive back to Philly after spending HOURS standing in TS.

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation

Yes, Beth you DO *need* what you would consider "negative comments", and please don't tell us to hold our tongues, or simply "shut up" (which is basically what you are saying) because we will give you what you consider 'bad news".

Your plan makes little sense. To get a good view of NYE in Times Square (and heaven knows why anyone wants to do this), you will need to be in place in a cattle pen no later than 5 pm, and preferably 3 or 4. You will stand there with no food, drink, or bathroom until midnight when you will -- do what? Run for a garage to drive, dead tired, to Philadelphia???? Keeping in mind all the drunks on the road after New Years Eve, this sounds like a recipe for not just a disaster, but suicide. I don't care that a teen has been "bugging you", your plan is one that could get you all killed. For heaven's sake, forget this plan!!! Go ONLY to Times Square (which is dopey), or to Philly for the parade (which is a lot more fun) -- but ONLY do ONE in the same year!!!!!

If you think that comment is "negative", I'm sorry -- but someone needed to give you a reality check.

Linda

'

Mentioned in this post
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation

<<but my daughter is 16 and has been bugging me to do this for a few years.>>

Does your daughter understand that you have to be in a pen by around 12 noon or so. No bathrooms, no food, no drinks. If it's really cold it's advised to bring cardboard to stand on.

timessquarenyc.org/events/….U4_7f_1OXIU

A lot of the people that start out early in the day do drop out from a lot of the trip reports I've read. So people do move up to those spots. But, if you'll get close enough to see anything is in no way a given or guaranteed. A lot of those people you see smiling and celebrating on TV are from private parties and they pay big $$$ to be there. Or they are in groups from the TV shows. Some of those people didn't stand out there all day because, like I said, some people give up and leave and the ones from behind move up. Not all those happy faces on TV have stood outside all day (12 hrs, 8 hrs or so).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation

+1 for AuntLindaV and elizzie's post. Get a grip of reality and letting your 16 year old rule is a recipe for disaster.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation

Listen, while native NY'ers can't understand why anyone would want to see the ball drop in TS, I do.

It is a once in a lifetime experience and over a million people do it every year. Fact.

Would I do it now? No. I did it pre 9/11 and basically arrived in TS at appr 9pm and had a good view.

That being said, saying that this is a recipe for "suicide" is strong.

I DON'T think this is a good idea. I don;t think people understand that you literally have to stand with no access to restrooms for hours. You can eat and drink(a local place delivered pizza last year to people in the pens who ordered), but then you run the risk of having to use the bathroom.

You can't just leave, find a bathroom and come back. Once you leave the pen that you are in, you will not be allowed back inside.

Then to get back in a car and drive to Philly. Not a good plan IMO. Do 1 or the other. Not both. If you are set on TS for the ball drop, stay the night in NYC and head back home in the morning after a good breakfast.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 12:28