We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What needs booking and night time activities?

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
What needs booking and night time activities?

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend will be visiting New York from August 29th leaving September 3rd. Will be out 1st time in the city and can't explain how excited we are. We plan on doing all the touristy things such as Empire State (although may just do the cruise past on this, SoL, 9/11 memorial and 9/11 museum etc. We are working on a rough itinerary at the moment and will post on the site for any feedback or suggestions when its complete. Just wondering is it recommended to book in advance for any of the sights or is turning up on the day ok for most?

Also we thought it would be nice to take in some sporting activities one of the nights but I cant seem to find any fixtures on teams sites at the minute? Another idea we had for a night was a cinema (just seems more thrilling going to see a film in New York than compared to back home) is there a recommended cinema for the major films near where we will be staying (Affinia Manhattan)

Thanks in advance for any help

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

Book in advance:

9/11 Museum-Yes

SoL-Yes

Sports: Schedules for baseball are available now. Check the NY Mets and NY Yankees websites.

Do check out the Brazilian Festival:

http://www.brazilianday.com/en/

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

That's great thanks will look into them now. Is Brazilians Day anything to do with Labor Day as I know that takes place whilst we are in the city thought it may be best to avoid Brooklyn on that day?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

^^

Does not have to do with Labor Day. It is always held the Sunday before.

You don't have to avoid Brooklyn on Labor Day. The parade is held in a specific part of Brooklyn...and Brooklyn is huge.

If you have plans to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge/explore the Brooklyn Promenade/etc, you would never know that the parade was happening....and it's one of the biggest parades in NYC.

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

That's great we originally thought about popping over to have a look and take it in but it has kind of taken a back seat in the plans right now.

Thanks for your help

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

What about a Broadway show? If you're sure you want to see a film, you might want to go to whatever is playing at the Ziegfeld Theater. It's an "old school" ornate and huge movie theater. They play current releases.

It's not super near your hotel, but it's in midtown (not far from Times Square) and reasonably convenient.

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

Somehow I managed to forget to mention a show the other half would kill me if she knew!!! Its on the list but thinking of picking a day and going to the TKTS booth to see what we can get as neither of us have a show we would class as a "must see"

Thanks for the movie suggestion much appreciated.

Just checked the Yankee schedule and on September 2nd they play the Red Sox at home now I have limited baseball knowledge but I'm sure that's a big game?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

Yankees vs Redsox is a big rivalry. Good game to see.

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

Brilliant she gets her show I get my game great compromise :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

Don't forget the Brooklyn Flea/Smorgasburg:

http://www.brooklynflea.com/markets/

and Brooklyn Night Bazaar:

http://bkbazaar.com

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What needs booking and night time activities?

On Sept. 2nd the Yankees play the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. Boston & NY is usually a pretty good game (& probably the best game to grab while you are here)-

newyork.yankees.mlb.com/schedule/…

AMC Loews at Kips Bay is the closest multiplex movie theater to the Affinia Dumont.-

https:/…amc-loews-kips-bay-15

As mentioned, 9/11 memorial, SOL crown reserved & even ESB are good tickets to get in advance-this list explains more & has a list of night life calendars-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Happy planning & (most importantly) Have Fun!