We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Special Brunch

nj
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday Special Brunch

I have read a bunch of posts on brunch but thought I would ask directly.

It's my sister's birthday, and I would like to take her to brunch (well actually a mid day weekend meal. I am guessing that brunch is the way to go but I am flexible). I would prefer it be in midtown, slight preference to west side but again flexible.

I saw Lexington Brass which looked lovely but reviews were so so. ( I know it's east side but not very far east). I also saw Norma's, and Russian Tea Room.

What do you think? Any others I should consider? thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

What kind of meal are you looking for? The Breakfast eggs and such type? Or just a lovely lunch? I'll suggest Nougatine, the more casual side of Jean George and they offer a prix fixe lunch

jean-georgesrestaurant.com/nougatine-and-ter…

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

We used Pershing Square (www.pershingsquare.com) twice on our visit. Its right by Grand Central Station.

The food was nice and the atmosphere was good on both our visits.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

The Boathouse in Central park is lovely but not midtown nor west side. They also do not take reservations for brunch which is a definite downside for a special occasion. Now that Tavern on the Green has re-opened, the wait at The Boathouse may not be so long?

As for Tavern on the Green, we had brunch there last Saturday. Benefits are that it is convenient to multiple subway lines on the west side of Central Park and that you can book a table online. We opted to eat on the patio because the weather was beautiful and this proved to be a good decision. However food was so-so and service was awful: I think the staff are still at the start of their learning curve. Depending on how soon you go, the service may have improved. There is a 3 course plus cocktail Prix Fixe brunch for $55.00, or you can order a la carte.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

Robert in the Museum of Art & Design! Great views of Central Park from above. Nice menu. Tell them when you book it's a birthday celebration and they will likely decorate whatever dessert you order.

www.arkrestaurants.com/mobile/robert.php

I also like the Boat House if you're willing to wait for a table. Upstairs at the Kimberly is another idea.(midtown east).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
458 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

Lincoln and Jean Georges both have reasonably priced (compared to weekday prices) weekend lunches and are fantastic.

Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

I second Robert at MAD, I had my birthday brunch there and loved it, food was lovely and the setting is gorgeous! Especially if you can score a window table!

nj
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

Wow. This is why I love this forum. Great suggestions!

I am actually travelling now but I checked back to see the suggestions.

I had trouble with nougatine website,/; couldn't find anything about prix fixe though I may try again later.

I thought Robert looked wonderful ( I was able to access it and reserve) so I did reserve it.

I will let you know if we change, but I think that looks like a keeper and I would NEVER have known about it without this forum.

nj
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

thank you- as promised, here is my update.

I made reservations for ROBERT for today - it was delightful and delicious and all that.

We did get a window table which was really just stunning overlooking Columbus Circle. The food was quite good, and quite ample portions. We ordered the lamb burger and a mushroom cheese omelet.Both were delicious and came with salad and potatos (one was fries, one had a sort of hash brown). They also brought a basket of nice rolls. It was so much prettier than what the photos look like. Anyway, the service was very good, and all in all it was a hit. I never would have know about this place if it were not for the forum. (thanks NYWHIZ and Jodi). We also had dessert and coffee- everything was really super tasty and so nicely presented.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

I know, I also think Robert looks awful on their website with all that modern/too-bright colors stuff going on but somehow it just works in person. It's one of the true gems unearthed here on the forum. Too bad Whiz can't get a kickback from every person who has ever eaten there who otherwise would never have heard of it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saturday Special Brunch

;). Glad you enjoyed it.