We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

Hi everyone,

I have decided to return again for Christmas but have a little dilemma I was hoping others might help with. I can fly into JFK from my home town of Perth on Sun Dec 13 when the hotel prices come down somewhat or fly in 4 days earlier for a whopping $600 cheaper airfare but hit the peak hotel prices. I always travel solo and frequently (my 6th trip to New York since 2009) so I have to keep looking out for the best bargains to be able to do what I do. Like last year I will have to leave New York straight after Christmas on Dec 26 (to avoid the New Year hotel price hike) and head to DC for some cheaper accommodation (plus I love it there anyway) for a few days before heading back up to NYC and flying home.

I can book the Hotel Newton again from Dec 14-26 at a pretty good total price of US$1987 for my stay (Double with private bath) though I am getting a bit bored staying there all the time but I just can't better the price & location. I am 47 now and need my own bathroom which I frequent several times during the night (because I'm getting old!!!!) so shared bathrooms are out of the question. But it will be nearly $1000 for the 4 nights from Dec 10-14 because of peak time and I just can't afford that. What would others suggest? Should I grab the cheaper airfare? Should I head straight out of town upon my arrival for the those 4 first nights e.g. Boston or DC? Can I get something for around US$150 per night somewhere further out? I'm happy to just veg for those first 2 days after the 30 hours travelling from Perth anyway so location is not so important. I just tried the Pan Am and was shocked to see it has closed! Any help appreciated and sorry for the long post.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

Can't follow the math as you describe it but have you considered staying in Long Island City for part or all of the visit? The Verve, Nesva, Fairfield Inn Queensborough Bridge should all be less than the Newton and nicer/newer. Some include breakfast.

You should also price flying into one city and out of the other to avoid doing a roundtrip by train.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

I would take the earlier flight and stay in Long Island City. I did a quick check of a couple hotels that we've stayed at before minutes from the subway and one or two stops from Manhattan and the were $135 to $140 per night before taxes.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

If you're willing to prepay, there may be some good options on Hotwire. It's also worth checking air /hotel pkgs. for the dates you say flying is cheaper.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

Thanks for those quick replies. So nice to hear from you again nywhiz and thanks for the research efforts 2frosty4u. I decided to book into the Comfort Inn Long Island for 5 nights then will move over to the Hotel Newton. As I said I am a bit over staying there BUT it has a fridge & microwave which is such a blessing when staying in hotels often.

I will be flying Cathay Pacific so no option of open jaw out of DC but I love travelling on the train so for me that is something to look forward to. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

While you're in LIC, you might want to visit Socrates Sculpture Park and the Museum of the Moving Image.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 11:15
6. Re: Cheaper Airfare vs Pricier rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:16