We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

I am arriving on a Friday and leaving on Tuesday, so I have Sat, Sun or Monday that I can do SOL, Ellis, WTC and Wall Street. I want to do these all on the same day so that I only have to go to that area once for such a sort trip.

Which day is best for this? I was hoping to go on Saturday but I read that the lines for SOL are over two hours long on the weekends to get on the ferry. That sounds like a lot of wasted time. So maybe Monday? But I have theatre tickets booked for Avenue Q at 8pm on Monday night and was thinking of doing Central Park on that day to be more in the area.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,417 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

Monday. Fewer weekenders going to SOL and Wall Street is more interesting on a work day.

Long lines are still possible though. Going to the SOL is a big time investment.

You'll have plenty of time to get to the theater district by 8pm. Plan on returning to your hotel first to freshen up, especially if it's during summer.

Mentioned in this post
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
264 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

I visited the weekend after Easter and asked the same question. When I called the official ferry company the operator said they allocate the same number of tickets each day (depending on time of year of course).

In the end we went on a Sunday but made sure we booked an early time (10am). We did the pedestal at SOL plus other exhibits and also Ellis Island. It was just over four hours before we were back at Battery Park.

I'm not sure the day makes as much difference as the time of day. Go early because the trip includes 2 security checks and 3 ferry lines which is where you will wait. By going early we walked onto to each ferry without having to wait for full ones to leave without us.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,432 Reviews
New York City, NY
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,253 Reviews
New York City, NY
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

I would not do SOL and lower Manhattan on the Monday if you have theatre tickets for 8 pm. It is true that Wall Street is more interesting during the week but by the time you see the SOL, Ellis Island, walk around downtown and see the WTC area you will be ready for a rest and will need time to shower, change and have dinner before heading to the theatre. I agree with Mary that the key to beating the long ferry lines is to get an early start.

Mentioned in this post
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,432 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

Monday.

It's much better being down by Wall Street during a work day.

Are you just going to the 9/11 Memorial or to the Museum?

Mentioned in this post
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

I want to go to both the 9/11 Museum and the memorial, SOL, Ellis Island and see Wall Street and anything else that is in that area. As stated I only want to go once so I'm not backtracking as I only have 3 full days and have many other things planned.

I will be there Sept 13-15

I also don't want to be rushing to get to the theatre that evening, so would need to be back at our hotel (Hampton Inn Times square North) at around 5pm to get ready for dinner and then the show.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,432 Reviews
New York City, NY
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

galaga_girl

Time wise you should be able to fit in everything BUT keep in mind that the Memorial and Museum will be emotionally draining and will require at least 3 hours to do them justice. I personally would not have been able to go to the theatre right after my visit to the Museum, and we had already been to the Memorial previously, which in of itself is a moving and contemplative experience. People have different reasons for visiting the WTC area but whatever those reasons are it is a visit that deserves our full attention and respect, IMO. I wouldn't want to be rushing through that part of my visit because of concerns that I would be late for the theatre, but only you know what is right for you.

Mentioned in this post
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

I had this same question.. We chose to do it on a Monday as I heard wall street was better on a working week day.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

Deltawing thank you for the info, I went to the holocaust museum in London years ago and know exactly what you mean, for the entire day I was affected by what I experienced. I am going to take your advice and go on the weekend even if I have to wait longer for the ferry and not see all the people around Wall Street.

I think this will be the best solution for us based on all the comments and thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice.

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,821 Reviews
New York City, NY
Wall Street
Wall Street
2,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

You're welcome.

Just so you know there is no need to line up early for the 9/11 Museum visit. We were there last week for a 3pm visit, arrived right on time, and were allowed straight through. Those with tickets for 3:30 were asked to wait in the appropriate queue. There are two lines for reserved ticket holders: one for on the hour reservations and another for half hour times. It's possible that early in the day reservations are not adhered to so strictly because there aren't as many people inside the Museum at the start of the day. It appeared that they were really trying to control the flow of visitors so that it wasn't too crowded inside at any one time.

We also found that it was extremely crowded around the Memorial pools when we arrived in the area at 3 pm. It was a relief to see that there were so few people around when we exited the Museum just after 7:30 pm, as we did want to spend some time at the Memorial as well.

Mentioned in this post
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which of these days for Statue of Liberty

I really think you are overestimating the time it takes to get to lower Manhattan. I would split up the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from the museum. I think it's too much to do all three in one day.

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,893 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,432 Reviews
New York City, NY