We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

We are two couples in our mid 40s arriving LGA Saturday. We have rented an apt in the Lower East Side. First time in NY. Any cool suggestions for us as to what we should hit on a Saturday night. Should we see Times Square on a Saturday night or maybe a walk along the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset then hit a Pub in Brooklyn? Love to see the lights either way but not particularly interested in too terribly touristy things. Help! Restaurant suggestions, Pubs, music?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

Apartment rentals are illegal in NYC if less than 30 days. Some are scams....

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

Too bad you didn't ask first before renting that apartment. What type of bldg is it in? A multi story, multi unit bldg?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6575671…

USA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

Only you can decide what you want to do. What is bringing you to NYC? And yeah, what ter said about the rentals.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

With all the scams about - you may be looking for alternate lodging - NO KIDDING!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

It would appear we didn't do enough research on the apts in NY. We have rented in many other jurisdictions, it never crossed our minds that it was illegal.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

I do hope your rental works out.

Last Friday I got into lower Manhattan around 730pm intending to go to dinner and do some shopping. Lightbulb went off in my head, I remembered that the TKTS booth closed at 8 p.m. And the shows started around 815. So I jumped in a cab and got to the TKTS booth at Times Square and bought a ticket for Jersey Boys, which was fantastic. so that's one idea, go to TKTS shortly before closing so they won't be a crowd, see what tickets they have, and go see a play. Might not work out on a Saturday night when presumably everyone goes to shows so be prepared to do something else, if you don't get a show that you like. ps TKTS is where they sell same day discounted theater tickets. If price isn't an issue you can of course buy online or at the box office.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

You will find rental laws similar to the one in NYC in a lot of large densely populated cities. It's not unique to just NYC. San Francisco is a another one. The laws are to protect the people living in these multi storied bldgs that are their homes. They don't want their homes turned into 'Hotels'. The majority of these blds have 'Rules' that don't allow short term rentals at all. Some are for nothing less than 6 months and some for 1 year. And they will and do report 'visitors' who are unauthorized or approved to be in their bldg. Many of these bldgs have doormen that keep 'visitors' out as well. That's why I asked what type of bldg you are in.

I don't live in NYC but I live in a multi storiied bldg. We are not allowed to rent ours out for less than 1 year.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

It would appear we didn't do enough research on the apts in NY. We have rented in many other jurisdictions, it never crossed our minds that it was illegal.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

Thanks Larry, we'll probably end up in a hostel or, upon eviction, in the klink. Great thought on the theatre, maybe we'll get lucky and be able to tickets.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should we do Saturday Night in Manhattan?

Well we are just back from our illegal rental in Manhattan. Beautiful apartment in a 5 story 8 unit apt. Building in the lower east side. Great neighbourhood, lots of bars, restaurants, coffee shops and shopping. A short walk to the Astor Place subway. Apt clean and presented very well.