We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of last minute questions.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of last minute questions.

Hi

land at Newark lunchtime Monday have not decided yet between Air Train and bus combo

to Penn Station and The Airport Shuttle Bus to Grand Central station which I believe is the cloeset stop to our hotel The Carvi 152 East 55th Street. Just wondering if its easy to get

a cab from Grand Central to the hotel and aprox cost just wondering so I can have some

cash handy.

Also can somebody advise how to get to the Heliport at Pier 6 East River got a reservation

for 2pm on tuesday. Dont mind having a good walk

Many Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

It's not easy to find a cab at Grand Central midday on a weekday. Take the train to Penn Station and either a taxi from there or the E train subway to Lexington ave. & 53 st. Short walk from there.

There are several subway lines that will take you downtown but you'll have a 10 min. walk to the heliport from the subway.

Maps.google.com

Answers both these questions.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

Hi NY whiz

thanks for the information, i think it would be aprox 2-3pm by the time we have gone through customs and

got the transfer, do you think at that time it may still be a prob getting a cab at Grand Central.? Sorry to

be a pain but i am useless with google maps, I am more of a good sense of direction and a foldaway map kinda girl, me and technology do not get on!

Many Thanks for taking the trouble to respond, it is much appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

No, 2-3 pm is imo not an easy time to find a taxi at Grand Central and the shuttle bus is likely to take longer than the train as well. As for your technology prowess, I am not that good either but if you are on a computer (not a tablet or a phone), you will be amazed at how easy it is to use google maps. Go to

Maps.google.com

Thpe a trip from point a to point b at the top (ie penn station nyc to carvi hotel nyc). For subway or bus directions, click the train icon at the upper left corner (2nd one in). For walking directions click the person icon. The default setting is for driving and will give you an idea of taxi time.

J V
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain-suspension.…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

Yes, we know about the AirTrain suspension but people have reported the shuttle bus replacing it is fast and efficient.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 13:38
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

+1 for taking the train to Penn Station. If you want to take a taxi from there, then exit Penn Station on the 8th Avenue end (escalator to street level) since 8th Avenue is one way uptown, which is what you want.

It's also easy by subway from Penn Station. Buy your Metrocard and take the uptown E (also on the 8th Avenue end of the station and it's well marked) to Lexington Avenue (& 53rd Street.) Your hotel will be two short blocks north at 55th Street.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

If you decide to take a taxi from Grand Central, you can always go into the adjacent Grand Hyatt. They have a taxi stand upstairs. Don't forget to tip the doorman!

8. Re: Couple of last minute questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16