We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Allowance

Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Baggage Allowance

I have economy adult fare in Air China and i will be traveling from Bhutan and transiting from bangkok, then to Beijing and finally to New York so which baggage allowance route do i fall into:

1)China- Japan routes and routes to/ from America(Economy Class passengers with adult-fare or child-fare tickets are allowed up to two pieces of baggage free of charge, each weighing no more than 23kg and with total linear dimensions of each piece not exceeding 158cm.)

OR

2)Routes other than China- Japan routes and routes to/from America(Economy Class passengers with adult-fare or child-fare tickets are allowed one pieces of baggage free of charge, weighing no more than 23kg and with total linear dimensions not exceeding 158cm)

I also have another question: Can i check in my baggage through to the final destinations(New York)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Allowance

You will probably be better off asking this question in the air travel forum.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Allowance

Is this a single through ticket? If so, you should ask these questions of your departing carrier, Air China.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Allowance

Fascinating. What are your actual flights? Where do you fly from first and with what airline? For example, if you are flying with another carrier other than Air China from Bhutan (Paro?) to Bangkok (which I assume is the case), than you need to check if your baggage allowance is limited by that airline (Drukair Royal Bhutan Airlines?) or if Air China's allowance for routes to/from America are the ones that apply to you since they have ticketed you (if your ticket in one integrated Air China ticket versus one ticket with Druk Air and one ticket with Air China). If you have bought the ticket thru a local travel agency and not directly with Air China then you could ask them your questions. Or contact Air China.

Regarding your luggage: Once again I assume you are flying on more than one airline. In other words, Bangkok to New York (and back) will be on Air China but your flight from Bhutan will be on another airline (once again I am guessing Drukair Royal Bhutan Airlines). If those airlines have what's called an 'interline agreement' than your luggage can be checked through. if they do not have an 'interline agreement' then you might have to collect your bags in Bangkok and re-check them in for your Air China flight. From what I can find out, Drukair only has an interline agreement with Thai Airways but that may be outdated info.

One way for you to check this is to see if you have 1 ticket for your journey or if you have 2 tickets - one for Paro - BKK and another for BKK - NYC.

I encourage you to contact your travel agent or Air China.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 21:06
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Allowance

Addition: I have just found this:

"Flights out of Paro to Bangkok generally departs at about 11 am. This flight will usually reach Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport at 450 pm Bangkok time. Travellers will be able to connect directly to their flight home by informing our Druk Air staff of their connecting flight so that travelers' baggage can be transferred to the second flight automatically."

Source: drukasia.com/bhutan-travel/tips/the-best-way… (This was info from January 2012 so you should check if it is still current)

Edited: 07 June 2014, 21:22
Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Allowance

Sorry forgot to mention this. I have two tickets one from paro to bkk n the other one from bkk via Beijing to New York.

Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Allowance

Sorry forgot to mention this. I have two tickets one from paro to bkk n the other one from bkk via Beijing to New York

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Allowance

Under normal circumstances, given the lack of interline agreements between Drukair and Air China you would have to collect your bags in BKK and possibly even go thru immigration and customs to the check-in area to recheck your bags with Air China. But according to that quote I posted from Drukair perhaps they have some special arrangement so you should call Drukair in Bhutan and ask them. You can also ask them about the baggage allowance, but here again under normal circumstances if they do not have an agreement with Air China then you might be limited to the Drukair allowance of 1 bag of 20 kg. You can find Drukair Bhutan contact information here: https://www.drukair.com.bt/COMMON.aspx…

Edited: 08 June 2014, 09:10
Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage Allowance

Thanks lenny

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage Allowance

FNU J, please stop posting the same question in multiple forums. Choose ONE forum that best suits the question you are asking (in this case that should have been the "Air Travel" forum) and post your question there.

-JimG

10. Re: Baggage Allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:17