We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new York city pass

Formby, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
new York city pass

Which is the cheapest way to buy the city pass. Is it best to buy it online or from travel agent before going or wait till you get to New York and buy off street vendor.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new York city pass

First question you should ask yourself is if the pass is worth buying in the first place or not for you.

What do you want to do in NYC?

What would those things cost if you bought them individually, compared to the cost for the pass?

Would you let the pass 'dictate' your stay (that is, would you sacrifice doing some things not included in the pass that you really want to do to make the pass worth the money by doing things you hadn't intended to do if they weren't included)?

Some people seem to like the passes and have use for them. I didn't during my stays in NYC and were better of not buying them. Which is why I'm asking the above questions.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 16:05
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new York city pass

they are generally not recommended

Formby, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new York city pass

Thankyou very much for your prompt response. Very valid questions which will help us a lot in deciding whether to go that route or not. Thankyou again. Very helpful

Formby, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new York city pass

Thankyou. A very succinct response but very helpful. There does seem to be a consensus that they are not as useful as they first appear. Depends on what you wish to visit.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new York city pass

people find that they just run around seeing attractions that have no interest in just because they are on the pass

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new York city pass

I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks and was thinking the same regarding the city pass - the thing that made me want to get one was it includes visits to the Empire State in the day and at night and I assume that the standard tickets don't include that.

I want to do Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Top of the Rock and Empire State and probably a museum too so thought that it might be worth getting the city pass when comparing against the individual prices for those attrractions online, but I think I'm going to wait until I get out there and either visit one of the tourist points or one of the attractions and buy it there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new York city pass

you are best getting a ticket from statuecruises.com in relation to the SOL - as the pass doesn't include a dated/timed ticket so you will spend a LOT of time in a line

8. Re: new York city pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17