We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

1 post
Save Topic
amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

Son is traveling by bus, from Knoxville to Connecticut this week with a 5+ hour layover and transfer (greyhound to bonanza) in ny, ny. My question: is this a station where he will be safe for that time? And is there a restaurant or something in the station where he can grab a bite and rest between 4:00 and 9:00 am?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

How old is your son? What night of the week? Being stuck in that area with luggage between 4am and 9am sounds dreadful. Will he have bags? Or can he make do with a backpack?

Port Authority has good police presence and should be safe (though not very pleasant). Westway Diner is not far from Port Authority and is open 24 hours.

If I were in this situation, wandering around with luggage at 4am, and it was a weeknight, I'd hang out at Port Authority for a few hours and go somewhere for an early breakfast when the neighborhood became a bit more active.

Perhaps that's overly cautious though.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 20:18
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

The Port Authority isn't that scary to me. It's bustling at almost all hours of the day, you always see uniformed police around, and the southernmost building (between 40th and 41th streets) has an array of eating places on its street level. It will be packed during the hours you mention (if it's a weekday) with commuters. Not the hippest place to spend five hours but not that bad either.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

There is a diner on the lower level of the Port Authority(right before the subway entrance) where he can get some food. Not sure of the hours of operation. PA is safe. I would not worry about it.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 15:37
Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
233 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

You didn't indicate where in CT as perhaps an earlier departure is available? I can't see peace sitting after such a long ride (from TN) in Port Authority for another trip if an alternative availability? Even MEtroNorth if close to destination?

Near Port Authority - you are near Time Sq and a few late night shops are available but depends on bags in tow? By 6am most shops will open for the breakfast/incoming crowd in Port Authority and nearby so Dunkin Donuts, Au Bon PAin, Starbucks, and nearby fast food (McDonalds, etc.) are within 1/2 of 42nd & 8th Ave exit.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

I'd be surprised if anything in the PABT is open at 4:00 AM. It will be safe, though.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

I know the Duane Reede is open 24 hours, don't know if any of the eateries are.

7. Re: amenities/accommodations at greyhound stations in ny, ny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:15