We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Ok, I'm in serious planning mode. I have a couple of maps and am trying to plan whole days in terms of location. We will be staying in the Hotel Metro on 35th. I dont do the subway - my preferred mode of transport is walking (we can walk great distances) but obviously to get the best from our time buses and taxis will be used when needed. Times Square can be fitted in at any time so wont be in my itinary. I have booked one walking tour (may book another). Apart from the walking tour day I'm not planning what actual day we'll do anything just bunching stuff together in terms of whole days - if that makes sense? Also, we're not rushers-instead we like to savor the experience and enjoy the ambience so I'm not interested in cramming loads of stuff into my day but want my day to be filled. Not bothered about shopping - hate it - but will fit something in for the expected look sees if I have time. We'll be there for 7 full days excluding arrival and departure day. Thanks for looking.

ESB walk past

Grand Central Station

Chrysler building walk past

St Patricks Cathedral

Trump Tower walk past

5th Avenue stroll

Highline

Greenwich Village

East Village?

Morning walking tour of Soho, Little Italy, China Town. After tour we would like to spend some time strolling about at our leisure.

Then where or will above fill a day?

WTC

Staten Island Ferry for look see SOL

Brooklyn (DUMBO and where?) can Brooklyn be added onto above day or better as a day on its own?

Harlem (where? Full day?)

Central Park - when?

Its our first visit to NYC. Have I missed anything do you think?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 19:08
Glasgow
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

I did have the above separated into days, dont know what happened.

ESB - 5th ave - a day

Highline/Greenwich Village/East Village - a day

Walking tour-little Italy, Chinatown,soho - a day

WTC + SI ferry+where? - a day

Brooklyn - full day?

Harlem - full day?

Central Park - where could I put this?

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Pair Dumbo with a walk along the Brooklyn Heights - some lovely streets in Brooklyn Heights that are absolutely well worth walking. And Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge was one of the highlights for me when I was in NYC - did it on both my trips and you can do it on your way back to Manhattan after having spent time in Dumbo and Brooklyn Heights. Better views walking the bridge from the Brooklyn side and back to Manhattan with great views of lower Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Also, if you do Brooklyn heights and Dumbo then try to do it on a Sunday so you can enjoy Smorgasburg.

brooklynflea.com/markets/smorgasburg-dumbo/

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

When you ask "will above fill a day" are you talking about everything on your list up to that point?

If you are talking about just the walking tour day, I'd suggest meandering over to explore the Lower East Side and East Village after the tour. What time of day is the walking tour?

If you do the Chrysler Building on a weekday during business hours, stop in the lobby to see remarkable art deco stuff :-) Visiting the New York Public Library and Bryant Park also fits well with activities in this part of town.

I'd suggest doing Highline and the Village on a separate day from your midtown activities. Include Central Park on your midtown day.

On days where you are in the Village, Soho, LES, East Village, etc, do some advance scoping of great restaurants. You don't necessarily have to plan out every meal, but having some idea of great places you COULD eat it smart. You can still decide at the last minute (unless it's prime time and reservations only).

Glasgow
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Ok, how does this sound? Each section one day.

ESB/Grand Central Station/St Patricks Cathedral/5th Avenue/Chrysler Building/Central Park.

Highline/Greenwich Village

Walking tour day 10 am start: Little Italy/Chinatown/Soho/ East Village/Lower East Side

Brooklyn Heights/Dumbo/Flea Market (Sunday)

Harlem? Where? Full day?

I'm not sure where to put WTC/Staten Island Ferry. Should I make that a separate day. And add on Battery Park?

Theatre District/ Broadway/Hells Kitchen? Will this fill a day or a night?

Edited: 08 June 2014, 20:05
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Sounds good. Sorry, I don't know Harlem well, so I will leave that to someone else.

You could do 911 memorial and Staten Island ferry at the start or end of your Brooklyn day.

Theater District/Broadway (aka "Times Square") is best at night. That's when you see all the bright lights. You could do that any night. Eat in HK, gawk at the lights, maybe stop in a few glitzy TS stores. Better yet, see a show!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

Hi thanks, I fancy a boat trip so I'll start my Brooklyn day with the hoho watertaxi and stop at 911 memorial beforhand and will see SOL on return. The rest is taking shape. I'm onto evening entertainment now! And thinking about After Midnight followed by a jazz club - in the middle of my research for that. Then onto other pubs/clubs - blues being something i'll look at. Thanks again.

8. Re: Draft itinary - comments and advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:16