We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Ok, I'm going to attempt a trip report after our ten day break in New York city. I've only ever trawled through this forum mainly before our holiday picking up ideas, advice, information and places to go. I've often left messages and asked questions but that's about the extent of it.

The next instalment will be from wakening up on the day we started out trip!

I hope you all enjoy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Looking forward to it. Was it your first time in NYC ?

England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Looking forward to it as we will be going in 47 days, but just 4 nights as part of an east coast trip ;-)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Awesome, i love reading trip reports. Thanks so much for sharing and ill very much look forward to reading x

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

To begin with this holiday was arranged to celebrate my 40th birthday whilst there and I was travelling with my husband Steven. This was my 5th visit while it was his 3rd. I was given the pick of NYC, Las Vegas or San Fran and together we settled on New York.

I will try my best to squeeze everything in however I'll be doing this from memory and remember I am 40 now! We are not really foodies and just ate and picked the nearest and nicest looking places to eat so don't expect much about where we dined at. As it was not our first visit then we decided not to cover old ground and tourist attractions therefore we decided to visit new places and areas we had not yet experienced.

My writing skills are not as good as others on here so please excuse any blips. I will try to remember paragraphs!! Here goes ........

We left on Sunday 25th May, getting up at 2:45am to travel to our first airport, Aberdeen. Flight was at around 07:00 and went well arriving at Heathrow on time, I slept the majority of the way. Quick dash to the next terminal to catch our next flight on American Airlines which again went smoothly with only a 30 minute delay. Our bags were checked in to travel from Aberdeen directly to JFK so that was a load off our minds.

I must say that I was very impressed with American Airlines, plenty of leg room in economy. Both myself and my hubby are tall, me at 5'8" and him at 6'2" so the leg room was a nice bonus. Cabin crew were lovely, in flight entertainment was good and we were constantly fed and watered. I was trying to lose weight before our holidays and not gain it all back on one flight!

Anyway we arrived at JFK and everything went smoothly until disaster struck........no bags! I could feel my stomach churn and had visions of being in New York for the next ten days in the same clothes. I had very little in my hand luggage, a few items that I frantically wondered would last for ten days. We weren't the only ones which was a bit of a relief. Apparently this happens quite often and we were directed to the baggage department who were lovely and very reassuring. We were given a small toiletry pack and informed that our bags were probably on the next flight so not to worry. Easier said than done. We were informed that we could each spend $150 for essentials and necessities until our luggage arrived which would be delivered directly to our hotel. I still had visions of spending all our hard earned spending money on clothes, toiletries, make up (I class this as an essential) and a suitcase to get home again!

Once this was sorted we then caught a shuttle bus to our hotel, The Intercontinental Barclay Hotel on Lexington avenue. We had pre booked the shuttle bus as didn't want to haul our cases around but I needn't have worried about that now.

Once we got into New York I began to forget about our luggage although it was always at the back of my mind. Arrived at hotel and once we stepped outside the bus I began to smell, see and hear that all familiar New York senses. The sights alone were enough to marvel at let alone the smell of food and sounds of taxis, accents and friendly car horns as they nudged one another along. It never fails to amaze me how the New Yorkers are the only ones to make a car horn sound friendly.

Our hotel room was on the tenth floor and of an adequate size. Good storage and amenities. The bed was huge, high and super comfy.

Once we unpacked my small piece of hand luggage which took the whole of 2 minutes we freshened up and ventured out. We walked to Times Square which was a hive of activity. Sailors everywhere due to Fleet Week and crowds were attempting a 'selfie with a sailor'. I did not due to the state I looked after almost being up for 24 hours. We then went for something light to eat as my appetite had gone due to constantly thinking about our baggage. Arrived back at our hotel at 8pm which to us was really 1am, had a bath using our free toiletry pack which consisted off shaving cream, a razor, a comb and hairspray! Yeah like that’s what I really need in an emergency. Luckily the hotel provided free toiletries then off to bed we went.

We slept for almost 10 hours with exhaustion however I kept wakening to check my emails for our bags and I must say that the communication was great from the airport as we were informed of everything at every stage. Our bags did arrive on the next flight and at 4:30am they finally arrived to our hotel. They were delivered to our room at 6am and it was at this point that I actually relaxed to enjoy our holiday.

Next: Day 1 - Woodbury Common, heat and crowds.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

What a bummer start to your trip. But the day ended well. Keep going, thanks......

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

No way that's awful and such a stressful way to start.

so glad you received your luggage back though and managed to enjoy rest of your trip x

Calne, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Not off to the best start then. Love how the emergency toiletry pack included hairspray - what every girl (or fell) needs in an emergency. No toothbrushes or toothpaste?

Anyway, I am glad your bags arrived eventually and I hope you were able to relax and truly enjoy the rest of your trip.

England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Good report, shame about your luggage but well done AA to deliver it that quickly ;-)

Keep it coming !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

Reminds me of my trip to London in 2011. I was there for 6 days and got my bags on the fifth day. The communication with the authorities was awesome. I flew cheap airlines Icelandic express. The airlines was so cheap that they flew a converted Iron Maiden jet, with Iron Maiden markings outside. I have pictures to prove it.

The first thing i did when i reached my hotel was to go out shopping. Saved all my receipts.

When i filed for reimbursements the airline notified me that they have ceased operation ...so sorry.

Well, at-least i got some nice pair of jeans and others clothes :)

England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 10 days in NYC!!

@idrinkwater

LOL ;-) whwre are the pictures?

Hopefully they did get you back home though ?