We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

Hi all,

I'm stopping in New York for about a week on my way to Canada. I thought I go nuts when it comes to shopping since I'm from europe and everything is so expensive here.

I have located several outlets and wondered if you had any advice on which to chose since I have limited time.

Woodbury, Tanger, 21 Century, Jersey Garden?

Some of the brands I'm interested in buying are listed below and I'm interested in men's clothing:

Ralph Lauren

Allen Edmonds

Calvin Klein

J.Crew

Band of Outsiders

Converse

Nike/Puma/Adidas

Lee

Levi´s

Thanks in advance peeps!

Mentioned in this post
Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren
45 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Allen Hotel
The Allen Hotel
58 Reviews
New York City, NY
Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

Century 21 is IN Manhattan. Go there first and see what you find. Nordstrom Rack is also in Manahttan. Jersey Gardens is closer to Manhattan but Woodbury Commons is bigger. Depending on when you're visiing, you may ind the things you want areon sale anyway in the regular stores.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

Thanks for your response! I will be visiting in two weeks.

I guess the best thing would be to as you say visit Century 21 and see what I find, cause I don't think spending a whole day in Woodbury is worth it since I'm not staying in New york that long.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

You are going to hit NYC right during the height of summer sales. I'd spend my time at department stores trawling for fresher merchandise than the remnants of seasons past that are in the discount outlets.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

Thanks! This makes me feel good now that I won't visit Woodbury (which everyone talks about). I guess the usual department stores like bloomingdales, macy´s and century 21 have some of the brands I mentioned above?

And off-topic since you're from Canada, is the price difference big comparing to USA when it comes to the brands I mention, if it doesn't, I can more easily buy them in Canada. And if it does, what brands should one look for when in Canada?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Canada
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

You will find American prices cheaper, as well as a big difference in sales tax.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

I hate to say it, but outlet malls don't sell seconds or remaindered stuff from their regular stores anymore (they used to 20 years ago). Now they sell lower quality stuff with their outlet name on it, and, personally, a lot of times it's no better than C&A in Europe.

If you want stuff as good as Allen Edmunds, I doubt you will find its regular clothing in an Outlet Mall. At Century 21 you might, however. It's a true outlet store. I'd look through travel books for listing on in-city discount outlets. If you want athletic stuff, try Modell's, or any of 100 stores on or near Fulton Street in Downtown Brooklyn at the Hoyt Street station of the 2 and 3 or Jay St-Metrotech of the A,C, and F (about the same place).

Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein are nowadays brands sold in every department store like Macy's, whose largest store in the world is at 34th St and Broadway. Same with Lee's, Levi's, Nautilus, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.

Puma, Converse, and athletic stuff is sold in about 10 different national shoe and atletic clothing chains and it's unlikely you'll get the same quality at an outlet mall.

It is not worth renting a car and driving for over an hour to visit an outlet mall unless you want to experience as much as the bargains. New York traffic often makes Paris look like a rural town. It still might be fun, but regular stores in New York might be just as good, and because the sales tax is half your VAT, I believe, you will see some price improvement.

But for a day outing, an outlet mall is good, especially if you are not accustomed to one.

Mentioned in this post
The Allen Hotel
The Allen Hotel
58 Reviews
New York City, NY
Modell's
Modell's
63 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren
45 Reviews
New York City, NY
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

Scandinavians and Europeans do love shopping at Woodbury Commons because they always find bargain especially if you like Polo.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

+1 for NorthofDC's post regarding most merchandise at Outlets. They are usual lower quality and expressly made for Outlets. And if they are the "real" deal from season's past, they are usually from "eons past."

As to shopping in NYC vs Canada, you have more choices and sometimes better price points in the US as it is a far bigger market than Canada. On the other hand, shop for many "Canadian" merchandise when in Canada: ie Joe Fresh, Lululemon, Aritzia etc.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Shopping in New York! (Woodbury, Tavern, Jersey Garden etc)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:17