We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets

14 posts
Save Topic
Markets

I'm coming to NYC in January slightly excited by this, however I would like to get to know NYC for its culture and I love markets. What and where would I find these gems? I have seen that the Hell's kitchen area has some, but wondered where else I might find little gems ? :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets

what kid of market are you looking for?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets

Also, your exact dates would help as there are holiday markets around but, if you are going to be in the city at the end of January, they would probably be closed.

14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets

Thanks for quick response, we will be there from 1st January - 8th January and trying to understand how NYC runs across new year period, love to know markets but also open to little boutiques and querky things :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets

Also, what kind of makets ? grocery stores, farmers markets ,regular pharmacies that sell merchandise ???

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,949 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets

Yes, this may be a language issue. In the US "market" just refers to a shop selling a wide range of goods. Can you more closely describe what you mean by that word?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets

Do you mean Christmas/Holiday markets, or the ones' where you could typically find in Europe where they sell food and other things (typically ethnic goods)?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets

or do you mean flea markets, open air markets, farmers' markets?

14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets

Sorry I should have thought about language barrier. I think the Americans call them flea markets where you buy materials and shabby chic sort of things, not necessarily good per say as I don't think I can bring those back to uk but definately merchandise things :)

staten island
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets

Brooklyn Flea has an indoor market over the winter. Check back on their website- http://www.brooklynflea.com/

Also, this website- http://www.marketsofnewyork.com/

10. Re: Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:16