We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which broadway show?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
406 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
which broadway show?

hi guys,

I will be in New York City between the 7/16-7/20 with my 16 year old and we would like to go see a show. We have come up with two options, hedwig and gentleman's guide to love and murder, which of the two do you guys think we would prefer?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
406 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: which broadway show?

we can't go on thursday as we already have tickets to Jersey Boys. i can get one seat for my son for the friday matinee for $180 for the center mezzanine in row d or $260 for a seat in the center orchestra for row C. we don't mind paying more for a better seat.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Boys
Jersey Boys
7,019 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
406 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: which broadway show?

which of the two should i get?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
406 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: which broadway show?

would it be better to sit closer to the stage or farther in the eugene o'neill theatre? also how is the friday matinee (do the regular actors perform or is it usually the understudies?)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: which broadway show?

If you have a choice, sitting "up" is always better for a musical (except for Lion King with the staging) since you can see the full choreography.

Mentioned in this post
The Lion King
The Lion King
8,700 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
406 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: which broadway show?

thanks, do you know if the regular actors will be performing on the friday matinee or will their understudies be performing in their place?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: which broadway show?

Unless you have an "in" at the theater, you never know if any given actor will be performing that day. I remember when I went to see Pippin, I asked if Terrence Mann (who is now out of the show permanently but is a favorite actor of mine) was going on & the house manager said yes. All I said was "Phew!"

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: which broadway show?

The regular cast always performs every performance unless they are sick or on vacation. They don't use understudies for matinees. Matinees are not "lesser" performances

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: which broadway show?

LivesinNewJersey that's not 100% true. Patty LuPone didn't do matinees when she was in Evita although that is far from the usual practice & most Broadway folk do their level best to do all shows unless hurt/ill or have a negotiated day off.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
406 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: which broadway show?

thanks again, i just have one more question. Do you guys know if Billy Porter (the main actor in Kinky Boots) will be performing on the 7/19? I've heard that his current contract expires a few days before and I just wanted to know if he has extended/ plans to extend it? If not do you know who will be his replacement?

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: which broadway show?

The latest that I've read says Porter's there until July 14th. I've seen nothing yet about his replacement. You can visit Playbill.com for the latest news on shows.