We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

I read about somesuch (perhaps maybe on TA), but I am absolutely unable to find out where it is. You climb around crazy high parts that are "behind the scenes." I remember that it is not recommended for the faint of heart in regards to dizzying heights.

Hope someone here can point me in the right direction, because I have *got* to do this!

:-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

You might be thinking of the Vertical Tour at St John the Divine. You climb up spiral staircases through the walls of the cathedral and go to the rooftop. It's a great tour.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

St John the Divine?

stjohndivine.org/visit/…cathedral-tours

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

Yep, that's the one! :-) Thank you!!!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

The nearby Riverside Church used to have tours of its high carillon tower, but these were discontinued for "safety and security concerns."

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
851 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

Real Grenadine,

I took the Vertical Tour this past Saturday, it was great. The climb was much easier than I expected.

Try to take the tour during sunny weather. If you read the reviews for The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine, TA member Outoftheinkwell wasn’t allowed on the roof because it was raining.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

Well, it better not rain on Labor Day weekend, then!!!

Does anyone know if they are picky about what kind of shoes you wear? I'm not going to try it in 3-inch heels, but I have sneakers with a pretty large wedge heel that I wear in NYC because my poor feet need as much space as possible from those brutal concrete sidewalks. I'd rather not pack another pair of shoes just to climb around the ceiling of a church.

But I certainly will if I have to. My friend is going to pass out when we get there and he finds out what is about to happen (shhhh! it's a surprise...). :-)

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

Well, it better not rain on Labor Day weekend, then!!!

Does anyone know if they are picky about what kind of shoes you wear? I'm not going to try it in 3-inch heels, but I have sneakers with a pretty large wedge heel that I wear in NYC because my poor feet need as much space as possible from those brutal concrete sidewalks. I'd rather not pack another pair of shoes just to climb around the ceiling of a church.

But I certainly will if I have to. My friend is going to pass out when we get there and he finds out what is about to happen (shhhh! it's a surprise...). :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

.. only person to be concerned about your shoes is you;-)) As long as YOU are comfortable..it's all that counts.. don't believe they do a shoe survey;-))

When you're don't with the tour, head across the Street for a break at the Hungarian Pastry Shop.. and EnJOY!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

They are not picky about the shoes you wear but the rooftop is on a slant and they warn you that you might not be able to go out there if it's wet. Whatever shoes you wear sightseeing and are comfortable with would be OK and if they have a bit of traction even better.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
851 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Church tour where you climb up to the roof?

Make sure your “surprised” friend is wearing comfortable shoes that are suitable for the climb.