We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid internet access for laptops

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid internet access for laptops

Dear fellow Trip Advisor users,

I'll be studying my postgrad course in New York for about a year in Sep 2014. Just wondering if there are service providers that sell prepaid internet access - you know, just like SIM card in a USB token that can be inserted into laptops.

Thanks,

Joan

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

These solutions are available but they have very low data caps for primary Internet access. In general, you will find wireless Internet more expensive in the US than elsewhere. You may want to consider using the free Internet at Starbucks, libraries, and others as part of your strategy.

T-Mobile is the most affordable, from 5GB for $30/month up to 11GB for $70

t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-interne…

Virgin Broadband2Go (Sprint network) is $55/mo for 6GB

virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband-plans/…

Millenicom (Sprint network) is $89.99/mo for 20GB

http://millenicom.com/plans/

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

Thanks @jhwanderer! I realized everything in New York is expensive including having easily accessible internet aka from one own's bed..The other option I considered is to wire up the apt I am in - is this a lot of hassle? Am trying to minimize the fuss!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

Internet is not that expensive. There are various companies. Time Warner is usually the worst. There is Verizon which is also very good.

I have RCN. Depending on your apartment's location, if you get RCN then you can get 50 mbps for $39.99 + Tax or 110 mbps $49.99 + Tax per month.

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

Thanks @idrinkwater. Where might I find these service providers? Are they all over Manhattan particularly near Columbia Uni area?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

Your building probably won't have RCN, that's a rare and special option. However you will be able to choose between Time Warner and Verizon. Their installers tend to be efficient and you can get unlimited Internet for around $50 per month. That is BY FAR the best option over the more expensive wireless services.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

Once you have your apartment then you can ask either your landlord or goto the websites and check what is available. Try to look for RCN. It is increasing its presence in Manhattan. Second best option is Verizon. if all else fails then you have Time Warner Cable internet.

7. Re: Prepaid internet access for laptops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:17