We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Christmas and New Years options

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
2014 Christmas and New Years options

Hello everyone,

We will be honeymooning in the USA over Christmas and New Years and are looking for some suggestions please. This is our first time to New York so we are after other people's opinions and recommendations.

Christmas Day - Can anyone please recommend a nice restaurant suitable for lunch or dinner for a honeymooning couple away from their families? We are after somewhere that is both delicious and affordable. I know there are several activities that you can do on Christmas Day but am not sure of where to start looking for somewhere nice to dine. We will be in New York for 11 nights so we don't mind a bit of a splurge for Christmas!

New Years Eve - We are looking at purchasing tickets to a venue on Times Square to party the night away - preferably somewhere within the vacinity to see the ball drop. I know about TGI Fridays but does anyone have any further recommendations please? We aren't really into the clubs, much preferring to be in a 'pub/bar' atmosphere. As we won't know anyone else in New York for New Years Eve, somewhere that can enable us to mingle with other people would be perfect! I have seen the central website you can purchase most tickets from but after some recommendations from people who have been or heard some good things about places.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone. We are pretty excited!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

Bubba Gump's is the "best" of them from all accounts - you will be looking at probably around $600+ per ticket I would think

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

How exciting! Here's a link to the 2013 Christmas thread - gives you an idea of the NYC holiday events and attractions:

tripadvisor.com/…53972764

Lots of visitors enjoy having their Christmas meal at the Rock Center Cafe or its sister restaurant the Sea Grill. They both look out to the ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center. These restaurants are rare in that they start taking reservations a few months in advance, but maybe not quite this early.

Another suggestion would be the Bryant Park Grill. Bryant Park is another festive location, with a holiday market, Christmas tree, and ice skating rink. BPG only takes reservations a month in advance.

The Boathouse in Central Park has also been recommended by Christmastime visitors on this forum. And the Tavern on the Green (also in Central Park) has just reopened - I wouldn't be surprised if it will be serving on Christmas.

If you want a skyline view, you might want to investigate whether the River Cafe will be open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. (Last year it was not open yet, so I'm not sure).

The vast majority of restaurants only take reservations a month in advance, even for Christmas. The website to book through is OpenTable:

www.opentable.com/new-york-city-restaurants

Toward the end of November a special link will appear on OpenTable showing restaurants that will be serving Christmas meals.

As for New Year's Eve, if you do a search of the forum (sort by date), you'll see lots of threads on the various parties, how to try to get tickets, the cost, how good they were, etc.

Enjoy your honeymoon trip!

Edited: 10 June 2014, 14:25
Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

Wow thank you so much for your help and suggestions! I'll definitely have a look at the links. Thanks again.

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

Hello again, after doing a bit of research around times square for New Years im not sure that it is the best option for us, although I am sure the hype would be amazing.

Do you have any suggestions of where we can find places to go near central park with a view of the fireworks that have packages with open bar similar to those in times square (but obviously without the huge masses of people)?

After reading all the other posts im now unsure of what to do so open to suggestions! Thank you very much for your help. We really appreciate it.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

If you want to indulge in the performing arts, check to see if the Christmas Spectacular has Christmas or New Year's shows (that is the Rockettes.) Also, in recent years, there have been Christmas themed Broadway shows such as the stage versions of the movies Elf & Christmas Story. It's too early to know if any of these will be playing but check back. One or more might very well do a Christmas matinee.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

If you look at the Top Questions section, about half way down is an entry about New Year's Eve. There is a link to a thread from last year with lots of info about what people did and whether they enjoyed it. You may find some great ideas there.

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

Hi!

Did you manage do source a good plan? I have booked new year in New York as a surprise for my boyfriend and like you was originally thinking Times Square but am now considering the same - package place further away from TS and in close proximity to CP so we can walk over to see the fireworks.

We're coming from the UK so like you I'd like to get it sorted as far in advance as possible really and as it's just the two of us would also like to find somewhere good to mingle!

Nicola

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

The Sea Grill at Rockefeller is amazing. We booked online months before our visit. The food is awesome, the service impeccable. Cocktails fantastic.

Watching the skaters on the ice rink certainly puts you in the Christmas spirit!

We spent Xmas 2013 in New York. Going back for 2014!

Best city in the world to spend it!

You are going to have an amazing time!

Edited: 11 July 2014, 14:22
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

Hi! We're visiting New York over Christmas & New year this year, we've never visited New york before so have similar questions to you! Christmas day we've contacted our hotel to ask for some advice and someone recommend using opentable.com so i think we're going to book something in a few weeks when we've decided what we fancy, traditional or something different! NYE we're not sure what to do, but there seems to be a lot of info online and someone recommended TGI Friday's to us! Hope you have a great Honeymoon! :-)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 2014 Christmas and New Years options

Ive booked the supernova party at the novotel for new years. Close enough to timea square to see the ball drop but far enough away to avoid most of the craziness of the crowds. Its $600 for 6hr drink and party package. Seating options are more expensive