We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfer Scam

Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Airport Transfer Scam

I am sure similar has been posted here before which is what triggered my memory- My Partner and I arrived at JFK around 9pm, we were sitting by the luggage carousel putting on some warmer clothing when we were approached by a man asking us who we were waiting for, when we told him we had a hotel shuttle bus transfer he then explained they were shut and he would take us to our hotel, he began chatting with my partner as if they were best friends, he picked up our luggage and before I knew it we were in the back of his car.. I did not feel right and began asking questions as I was sure I had read something about it on here. I asked who he was and his name (would not give name) but kept saying he worked for the airport and that if we payed him $100 that we were to call the shuttle company in the morning and they would meet us at our hotel and refund the $. He said the company was closed because it was late at night, then changed his story and said they were not running as there had been a snow storm that day. I told my partner I wanted to get out and to go check where our forms said... We got out and sure enough our shuttle bus was there waiting for us... I honestly cant believe there are such scammers in the world.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

you should NEVER accept lifts from touts

Sorry for your experience

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

Why would you just go with someone that you literally just met? Especially since you "read something about it on here".

Geez.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

Thanks for sharing. Glad it all worked out in the end. That's an unsettling experience.

I can see how a convincing story might sway some people after a long day of travel.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

It is sad that you fell for this--but unfortunately, it is your responsibility. There are signs all over JFK and announcements as well saying, not to take a ride from anyone who approaches you"

Which terminal were you in and where were you coming from? Many luggage areas are off bounds to non-passengers which is why I question.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 14:37
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

**I can see how a convincing story might sway some people after a long day of travel.**

I can't.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

Man of the world hey Ter?

nyc
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

Everyone at some point in their lives have done something they have regretted. It's called living and learning.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

I can. It's not uncommon at all and some people are very convincing. In fact, my mother once fell victim to such a scammer taking her to EWR, I believe it was. After arriving, a Port Authority policeman somehow figured out what was going on, arrested the guy(!) and gave my mother her money back with a warning not to trust drivers who just drive up to hotels, or something like that (I can't quite remember all the details)

Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

Cant remember what terminal, we had come from Sydney Australia, but had a stop over in LA so it was a Delta domestic flight to JFK. I did not see any signs, I did feel uncomfortable about it... It shocked me to learn how gullible my partner was/is.. He was telling me I was being silly it was him doing all the talking you would have thought they were best friends... I was not sure if I had definitely read about it on here, but I knew I had heard something about airport taxi scam and I knew I needed to get out of the car... Funny, the guy even laughed at me and told me I will regret not going in his nice warm luxurious car with the leather seats. Yeah right!!!

Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfer Scam

He was very convincing, he was even saying hello to other workers driving carts outside the airport in the car park, he told me to go ask someone, they all know him there, we even actually walked right past a police officer, as it was the same police officer I went to and asked where the shuttle service desk was and explained a man had told us they were closed, the officer told me it was a scam and asked which direction he had gone in.