We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Weather October 1-5

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
NYC Weather October 1-5

Planning a girls trip

Im am wanting to get an idea of the weather the first week in October so I can get an idea of what I need to pick up so when I start to pack for the trip I will have everything I need. What should we pack for daytime? What should we pack for night? Also does it rain a lot? Heavy Coat or Light jacket? Any and all weather details will be great.

4 girls in their early 30s looking for fun restaurants and great nightlife.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Weather October 1-5

You can look here to see what NYC's early October weather has been like over the past few years:

wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:10003.…

In 2013, October 1-5 had highs 78-84 and lows of 54-55. But the average for those dates is a high of 68-69 and low of 54-55.

It should still pleasantly warm, but by Louisiana standards you may not feel it's t-shirt weather if it's only getting up into the 60s. And in the evenings you'll probably want some time of jacket.

All you can do is keep an eye on the forecast as your travel date approaches.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Weather October 1-5

Early October is still pleasant....

USA
Level Contributor
14,659 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Weather October 1-5

Rain is always a possibility, plan accordingly. Fran's post gives you an idea of temps, you'll need to pack a little of this and a little of that. Early October is typically a very nice time of the year here.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Weather October 1-5

Weather is highly variable in the region, but usually early and mid October a fabulous time for weather. Really, one of the best times! You don't want it too warm you're spending all day out and about walking endlessly and exploring.

Rain is always a possibility. NY doesn't really have a wet or dry season. Rain happens whenever.

Be prepared with layers. Some light tops that can be worn under heavier tops with sleeves. A cardigan or light jacket to wear over that. There may be days when it starts out chilly, but by afternoon you are hot and peeling off layers if you're walking vigorously. A layer that can be tucked into a shoulder bag when you don't want to wear it is ideal.

It's unlikely that you will want sandals. It might be warm enough to wear them but it probably won't be hot enough to need them. Plan on shoes, and make sure they are comfortable for lots of walking. I like to bring several pairs because I walk A LOT in NYC, and switching shoes gives my feet a break from whatever they've endured the day before.

You'll want to look at the weather forecast just before you leave, and adjust your packing. Even then, expect that it could change! During my May trip, I had temps in the uper mid 80's with bright sun (a bit warmer than predicted). I started feeling like I was running out of really warm weather tops. But then I also had temps in the 50's, and the 50's day was unexpected. I had to combine various things into layers. I had what I needed though. One more hot day and I would have had to do a hand wash!

If unseasonably cold temps are in the forecast, with damp wind, whatever moderate winter jackets you have for Louisiana winter should be more than sufficient, especially with an extra layer. Don't worry about whether your jacket is stylish or dressy enough. Even if you go to a dressy restaurant, you'll take it off as soon as you arrive, and may even be able to check it into a coat room. (Theaters and big museums also have coat checks). In other words, don't go buy a new cold weather coat just in case you need it. You probably won't. :-)

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: NYC Weather October 1-5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:17