We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

So i got front row seats in the side orchestra (isle seat) which I thought was pretty good but someone said first 3 or 4 rows in the side orchestra are bad.

Is this true?

I gathered I will have a steep viewing angle and the singers will be addressing the center of the theatre but it cant be worthy of an Avoid! label?

Many Thanks

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

This theater has about 1,064 seats. How bad could it be? You decided that you /had/ to see this popular show. You'll have a good time. Bring earplugs for the speaker stacks at the side of the stage. The view is fine.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

The height of the stage is not the issue, your view will depend upon how far on the side your seats are located. If you're more than 4 or 5 seats on the side in the first few rows, then you will definitely have a slightly obstructed view of the very side pif the stage you're facing.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

I agree 100% with my Bergen county neighbor

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

On the seating map for the theatre, its only the very extreme seats on each row (towards the theatre wall) that are flagged up as having partial view.

Earplugs? :/ im starting to realise why these were the cheapest of the "premium seats"

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

I sat in the middle orchestra for BOM and don't remember exactly how the side orchestra was laid out, but in general I love sitting up close.

For Hedwig, I was on row 5, left orchestra, in the middle of five seats. When I first sat down I was kind of bummed as there was a faux crumbling brick wall on that side of the stage that blocked the view of the drum riser (the entire non-stop show is set up basically like a rock concert.) Once the show started though my reservations were gone as I wasn't really missing much as most action was central stage, and early on NPH jumped up on the brick wall prop and was just 15 feet or so away. Soon after the wall receded into the wings and now the whole stage view was un-obstructed.

If your seat is on the inside aisle, I think you will have an awesome view.

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

Well ive found this photo from the opposite box seats which may help others who find this thread in the search box.

…yelpcdn.com/bphoto/…l.jpg

It does look like the closer you get to the wall the worse your view becomes. Its such a teeny theatre considering how popular it is

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

The reason I advised not the extreme front side seats is not only will you probably have a partially obstructed view of the side of the stage you're on but you also will be looking into the wings which could be distracting. However, if you really want to see a show with as few available seats as BOM, then any seat is a good seat. I just try not to do the extreme front side because when I was an usher, I had to sit in those seats too many times as ushers are not supposed to sit inside of a patron so that we're available in case of an issue in the theater. As an aside, there is one time I consider left front orchestra a good seat & that is during a symphony concert with a conductor I want to see & that's the best place to watch them.

8. Re: book of mormon - is side orchestra bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:16