We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Hello I'm arriving at JFK in the morning and was wondering if it is easy to get to the Plaza Hotel at Central Park if I took the subway? I will be buying the one week subway pass, so I was wondering if it is easy to get around if I have a suitcase.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,055 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Yes, it's an easy trip. You take the AirTrain from your JFK terminal to Jamaica. Pay the AirTrain fare when you get off ($5.00). Go downstairs (elevators and escalators available), buy the weekly unlimited Metrocard ($31) and take the E train headed toward the World Trade Center. Get off at Queens Blvd., and, on the opposite side of the same platform, take an R train for two stops.

Get off the R at Fifth Avenue (& 60th Street) and the Plaza will be right across the street. You'll have to walk up stairs at this station but it's not a deep station.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 23:46
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Sorry, you change from the E to the R at Queens PLAZA.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Thanks for the reply AudenHoggart!

I was wondering if you could clarify.

1. Get on the Airtrain and train to Jamica Station, then I would buy the subway pass? (is the airtrain and subway pass different? or could I buy the week of subway pass at the airtrain station @JFK

2. I was looking at the map, then I got on the E(blue line) train and train stop at the 5th ave or the Lexington station close to the Plaza?

Thanks!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

You take the AirTrain to Jamaica. When you get off you buy tickets for the AirTrain $5.00 per person.

Then you go downstairs to the subway (elevators and escalators available) and buy your weekly unlimited Metrocards ($31 per person.) Take the E train headed toward Manhattan. Train's destination will be World Trade Center.

Get off at Queens Plaza and cross to the opposite side of the same platform. Take the R train two stops to Fifth Avenue (& 60th Street) and the Plaza will be right there.

You could have stayed on the E train to that line's 5th Avenue station, but then you'd be at 53rd Street. You're much better off walking across the platform at Queens Plaza and getting the R, which will take you right to your hotel.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 23:55
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Also note that you should never refer to subway lines in NYC by color. The "blue" line is actually three separate subway lines (A, C, and E) and they all go different places. The colors are just used to make things easier to read on a map, and are not really intended to be used for identification - you should always refer to the lines by their letter or number designation.

-JimG

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Thanks for your replies!!! I think we might just try the subway station since it looks easy and cheap, on a side note is it very busy during like 8am on a saturday. I know some cities have crazy rush hours and ppl with luggage is not going to make it easy.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

I don't think it should be too bad on a Saturday morning. If you find the E too crowded, get off at 71st Street/Forest Hills and do your cross-platform transfer to the R train there.

The R is a local and will make more stops between 71st Street/Forest Hills and Queens Plaza than the E train would, but you'd be getting on the R at the first stop so you should definitely be able to get a seat.

I always think that with luggage it's better if you can find a spot toward the end of one of the cars so you're out of the "line of fire" of other passengers getting on and leaving.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 01:17
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

As Auden noted, if you change at Forest Hills the cars will be a less crowded as that is the beginning/end of the R line. It is a bit slower but you will more easily get a seat instead of standing.

The Fifth Avenue station where you will be getting off has exits to the street at both ends of the train platform (instead of the middle as some stations). The exit at the front end of the station will get you a bit closer to the Plaza. When you change to the R you can "pre-walk" towards the front end of the train if you like.

(Be sure to get on a R not an M train if you change at Forest Hills.)

Subway map here: http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

The OP is coming on a Saturday, so there won't be any M trains to worry about. (The M only runs this route on weekdays.)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to The Plaza at Central Park. - Subway or Taxi?

Thanks for all your reply!!! much appreciated