We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

Hi. We need to be in NYC in August for a wedding in which we cannot bring our kids. We need a babysitter that can look after our grade school kids in the hotel, near Central park. I have seen many services online, but I don't know which one to contact. If anyone has had good experience with one, I'd be so happy to hear from you.

Thank you!

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

Also keep in mind that if you use Barnard or a similar agency you will be required to provide pediatrician records and other information.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

Have you looked at the Babysitters' Guild? I think that's what they're called. I haven't looked into it in detail yet but we're planning on using either them or someone the hotel recommends for our trip.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

I agree with BrooklynBrdge. Using a bonded babysitting service is a safe, efficient way to go about this.

And speaking as a New Yorker with kids - we're always SHORT of good babysitting! I know there's definitely an undersupply of babysitters in my neighborhood ...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

as a former Barnard Babysitter, they do indeed function in the summer - students staying in the city over the summer still need babysitting jobs! you do have to join the agency and you do have to provide various documents to them. also, here's the thing: I made a lot of money with the Barnard Babysitting Agency, but they don't train their babysitters at all. you'd definitely want to ask for references if you go that route.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

I don't want to beat this topic to death, but one other thing I would consider is what you want the sitter to do with your kids. You mentioned your kids are grade school age and you want them looked after in the hotel. So you should make that clear to an agency or sitter. On the other hand, if you wanted someone to take them out for some kind of excursion and/or meal, you would want to make that clear. Some sitters know the city better than others (actually, some, although highly qualified, may be recent arrivals themselves and expect to stay at the hotel). Some people prefer sitting babies, others are okay with older kids.

16. Re: Recommendation on Babysitting services in Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17