We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Brooklyn

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
274 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Brooklyn

Having had a great time with my kids when visiting in February, I am returning to NYC for 6 nights at the end of March by myself (I can take the cold and I like the prices!).

One of the things I'd like to do is spend a day wandering around Brooklyn, possibly starting out from Park Slope and Prospect Park and just meandering and taking in the various neighbourhoods. I want to try to take in a basketball game during my visit and so if the Nets are at home during my stay I'll probably time my day to fit in with the game.

My question is, if they aren't, is it best to visit on a weekend when the residential neighbourhoods will presumably be busier, or on a weekday?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Park Slope
Park Slope
462 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Prospect Park
Prospect Park
1,170 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Brooklyn

you will find brooklyn to be busy on any day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Brooklyn

Consider walking across the Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn, instead of the busier and much more touristy Brooklyn Bridge. You will get fantastic views of the Brooklyn Bridge itself.

A couple of places I enjoyed in Brooklyn are:

Red Hook. Great view of the SOL from the Louis Valentino Park and on the weekends has good food vendors near the ball fields, though not sure about March. The weekend would be better if you did go here. You can also walk here via the Greenway from Brooklyn Heights.

Brooklyn Heights - the Promenade, parks and piers, all very scenic with views of Manhattan.

Boerum Hill/Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens (aka BoCoCa), very local and neighbourhoody.

The Brooklyn Museum. See what exhibits are on during your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Bridge
Manhattan Bridge
1,075 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,064 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Heights
Brooklyn Heights
630 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Cobble Hill
Cobble Hill
37 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Carroll Gardens
Carroll Gardens
113 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Museum
Brooklyn Museum
1,334 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Brooklyn

**My question is, if they aren't, is it best to visit on a weekend when the residential neighbourhoods will presumably be busier, or on a weekday?**

As post #1 states, Bklyn is busy any day during the week.

If you will be here for 6 nights, there isa good chance that the Nets will play at least 1 home game @ the Barclays. The 2014-15 schedule has not been posted yet. Just keep a lookout and get some tickets when they are available.

**Brooklyn Heights - the Promenade, parks and piers, all very scenic with views of Manhattan.

Boerum Hill/Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens (aka BoCoCa), very local and neighbourhoody.**

^^

+1

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Heights
Brooklyn Heights
630 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Cobble Hill
Cobble Hill
37 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Carroll Gardens
Carroll Gardens
113 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
4. Re: A day in Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16