We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

Hello all, we are a group of 6 from Singapore.

We will arrive 3rd or 4th Oct 2014 and depart 10th Oct.

We are looking to so some serious shopping at Woodbury Premium Outlet (Thinking 2 or 3 days) and sightseeing in the city and also experience the Niagara Falls.

We are thinking to rent an entire house between this 2 places. (Is it legal to rent a whole house?) I know it's illegal to rent apartments.

We are also thinking to rent a van once we arrive to get around to Woodbury and to the city and maybe to Niagara Falls. (I had driven from LA to LV in January this year)

Anyone have any ideas which town is best and most convenient. Also is it easy to park in the city.

We are looking to spend about US$550 each person for lodging.

Thank you all in advance.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,690 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

You have many question and there are many many problems with your plans.

a. lodging- $550 per person is about $92 a night ( assuming 6 nights) That is not happening in Manhattan. While I applaud you for acknowledging the laws re: renting for less than 30 days, you are not going to find a house in Manhattan. One family homes ( which if they existed would be legal) are rare in Manhattan, and the handful that exist are worth tens of millions of dollars--so they are not renting out to tourists. You may be able to find something in any of the small town between Manhattan and Woodbury-but I have no information.

b. Where are you planning on parking the van in NYC? Do you really plan on commuting 2 hours each day?

c. Adding Niagara Falls on a 6 day trip with 3 being spent shopping just doesn't work.

d. I would suggest spending 3 days in Woodbury and shop. Then travel to NYC and spend 3 days here.

BTW which airport are you coming into?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

Niagara Falls is a full day's auto ride from NYC. Even if you fly, with all the getting on & off the plane, you will need to probably spend a day or two there & it is usually thought the best side of the falls to visit is the Canadian side which means you will be going through customs. It is not as easy a side trip as you may think.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

I would suggest MAYBE 2 days at Woodbury Commons if shopping is your thing and you really want to go. For 6 days, I think heading to Niagara Falls is not worth it. The drive is 7+ hours 1 way(less of course if you start from Woodbury.)

I would also forget about a van for the city. There is a hotel pretty much across the street from WC when you can all stay. Spend 2 days there at the end of your trip. Come into NYC first and experience the attractions. You don't want to be lugging around bags after shopping at WC.

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

We are coming in through JFK. Looks like we gotta get more budget.

Is it advisable to stay in manhattan without a van, go for our sightseeing activities then head over to WC with a rental and staying there for 2 days?

Lastly, are there hotels at the Negara Falls area? Thinking to spend a night there before going back to NYC.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

yes there are plenty of hotels in Niagra Falls

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

The best way to do this trip is to fly into Toronto and out of NYC if you can. See Niagara Falls first after flying into Toronto. Stay one night. Then fly to NYC from either Toronto or Buffalo, NY. You can rent a car at the airport and drive to Woodbury Commons and spend a day or two there, then drive to Manhattan, drop off the car and spend time on NYC before flying home. You could also do NYC first and then spend the last days at Woodbury. If you do that, leaving from Newark makes the most sense. The best views of Naiagar Falls are from the Canadian side.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

Personally I would forget about Niagara Falls and concentrate on NY plus budget and accommodations -loads to do and see. I'd rather visit Washington DC and if you fancy lots of shopping run with the outlets as planned.

The Country Inn and Suites is in Long Island City but a short subway ride - but larger suite rooms. But its your choice a lot of thinking required plus with a larger group you won't please all!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

If your budget can afford it, both the Marriott & Sheraton chains have Falls View hotels. You might want to look into those. If you haven't done so already, you might want to post on the Niagara Falls travel forum to see what the folks there have to say.

9. Re: A week stay in October small group lodging/travel options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16