We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
349 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

Husband and I are visiting July 6-11 for a company trip. We are staying at the Waldorf. This will be our 4th visit to NYC. We have seem most of the typical tourist sights so looking for something a bit different I suppose. Here's what I have so far..

Sunday- Check in or drop luggage (flight lands early so we have all day), walk through Central Park (have only seem small parts of it) then shopping, have a company dinner at 7pm at hotel.

Would love to take subway to Brooklyn and walk the bridge back over at night but will depend on how much energy we have and how hubbys knee feels (recently had 2 surgeries)

Monday- Breakfast somehwere in Grand Central

911 Memorial/Battery Park

Lombardis Pizza or Shake Shack for lunch

Mets Game

Tuesday- Breakfast (Anyone know a good place for pancakes??)

Walk High Line

lunch at Chelsea Market

Visit Greenwhich Village

Ruth Chris for dinner

Book of Mormon (already purchased tix)

Wed-Ess a Bagel for breakfast

need ideas for this day? Maybe a food tour or a water cruise? We have to be back at the hotel by 3pm for a banquet.

I don't what to wear his knee out with a huge amount of walking so any thought/ideas would be so greatly appreciated.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

I wouldn't go to Ruth's Chris for dinner. It's a chain out of New Orleans. Frankie & Johnnie's in on the corner of 45th & 8th on the 2nd floor (note in case your husband's knee is achy-there is no elevator) is a place I like.

frankieandjohnnies.com/steakhouses/frankiean…

BTW, I don't get tired of answering these questions as long as you give something to go on.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

Don't go on a food tour the day you have a 3pm banquet

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

are you not museum people, or have you already seen the ones you are interested in?

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

I just booked an NYC trip for August and I am also interested in reccomendations for pancakes...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

Not too far from The Waldorf Hotel is the Comfort Diner located at 214 E. 45th Street between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave. They serve buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup.

Just prior to our recent trip to NYC I aggravated a chronic knee problem. The swelling made it difficult, and painful, to use the stairs to access the subway so we resorted to using buses instead whenever possible. We could still use our 7-day unlimited Metro pass and I didn't feel that I whimped out by taking cabs everywhere.

The only issue I had with using the bus was that sometimes they had a very high step to get in and out and bending my knee to that extent was very uncomfortable. [I tended to forget to go "up with the good" and "down with the bad"!] However, if you ask the driver--I never did--I think they will make the bus "kneel" for you to make it easier to get on and off. I found all the drivers very helpful and attentive to people with special needs.

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
349 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

Thank you for the quick responses. I have added Comfort Dinner for pancakes so thank you for that suggestions. My hubby does OK with steps but will keep the buses in mind if that becomes an issue. I will look into Frankie and Johnnies as well.

Our banquet actually doesnt start until 7pm but we have to be back early for pictures at 4pm and to get ready. Is a food tour still a bad idea? I can switch a day around if needed.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

Because we were in NYC for a whole month we got to do some different things.... some of the ones I particularly enjoyed were Lincoln Center (tour and performances), Roosevelt Island, the Public Library, the Frick, Big Onion Walking Tours, St. John the Divine church.

While we were there I wrote a blog....

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

There are photos and comments on most of these places...

Have a wonderful trip.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

**Our banquet actually doesnt start until 7pm but we have to be back early for pictures at 4pm and to get ready. Is a food tour still a bad idea? I can switch a day around if needed.**

I would still not do a food tour.

Bristol, TN
Level Contributor
349 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

HKmom-We arent typical museum people but wouldnt mind a museum with off the wall things. In other words paintings and pottery dont really interest me.

Thanks Ginny-some great ideas!

Any thoughts on a water cruise? I am looking for a really good spot to take some great photos. We have walked the Brooklyn Bridge during the day but would love to see that view at night or from the water.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I know you get tired of this but can you give suggestions?

you might like the tenement museum.