We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation EWR to Manhattan

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Transportation EWR to Manhattan

What is the best transportation to use from Newark to the Hampton Inn on 35th street/Empire State Building without using public or train services?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

When are you traveling? How many are you? Probably arranging a car service is best, given the limitations you set out.

If you're traveling after mid-July when the Newark Airport AirTrain will be back in service, then AirTrain to New Jersey Transit is really the best option. You can exit NY Penn Station at 34th St. & 7th Avenue. Your hotel is on 35th St. between 5th and 6th Avenues, so very close to where you'd get off the train.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

December 23rd with 2 adults and 1 child

Edited: 14 June 2014, 06:08
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

dial7.com

allstatelimo.com

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

I like All State www.allstatelimo.com - +1 212 333 3333

Do not get a New Jersey taxi at the airport - they don't know their way around Manhattan and they tend to be more expensive for a subpar experience.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

Hey WhoDatNation13:-) Just to note, that will be a very busy time on the roads being just a couple of days before Christmas! I actually went to EWR on the 23rd Dec last year to pick up some friends coming from overseas and took them on www.transit.com/ to get into the City..in order to avoid traffic.. which was horrendous! Nonetheless, if you decide to go for a car service, another one you may want to check out as well is www.carmellimo.com/ Have been using them for decades.. around for eons;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

How long does it take from Penn Station to Manhattan? I don't want to tote luggage on a train with my kid is the only problem

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

.. by then, the air train will .. or most definitely should, be working again.. it's an easy trek.. from your terminal to the air train.. figure about 10-15 min here.. to the train .. that takes you direct to Penn Station NYC.. last stop as well so no getting lost;-) The train itself takes about 25 min.. figure for the entire process from air train to NYC Penn Station.. about 45 min to an hour.. it depends on train schedules which you can find at the njtransit site;-)

Although on a traffic-free day, it can take about half an hour.. or less.. to get into the City from EWR.. I've sat for over and hour and half in traffic just to get through the Lincoln Tunnel on one occasion and it wasn't even near a holiday;-) Keep Enjoyin'!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

Thanks Litsa. I have been to NYC 5 times and just left 2 weeks ago. I'm still learning my way around. LOVE NYC

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

The AirTrain and New Jersey Transit combination is very easy. If you didn't feel like walking the couple of blocks to your hotel you could always take a NYC taxi for the short trip from NY Penn Station to the hotel.

If you decide to do this then exit Penn Station on the 8th Avenue end so you'll be getting into a taxi heading uptown, which is what you want.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation EWR to Manhattan

My pleasure WhoDatNation13:-) FWIW, you can always wait till you land.. see how you feel;-) You have options.. you can always call a car service direct from the airport via their courtesy phones. and they most often than not, have a bunch of cars there waiting anyway.. of course, you may have to wait a bit if it's busy.. but for the most part, I've yet to wait for more than about 10 min or so;-) Enjoyin'!