We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

Can someone describe what the weather could be in August. I have looked at temperatures and they are around 85..not so hot but mention of being humid. How bad is the humidity? I'm from Australia...can you compare to Queensland humidity or even indonesia - Bali ?

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

sweaty mess within 5 mins. of going outside. the heat/humidity can be quite draining. a rest and refresh back at your hotel can help you cope.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

Pretty bad sometimes actually

weatherspark.com/averages/31081/8/New-York-U…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

We have been a number of times in summer, personally as someone who lives in Queensland we have found the humidity to be nowhere near as bad as a hot and humid Brisbane summer day and definitely not to the extremes of S.E Asia. Don't get me wrong it can get 'muggy' particularly waiting for the subway etc but overall not to bad (if you are used to it).

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

How you feel the temp and humidity are relative things and depend upon each persons tolerance. Those who are complaining about how bad they are in NYC would probably die if they ever went to Charleston, South Carolina in the summer. NYC is nothing as compared to the deep south! (Or to South Vietnam for that matter!)

Edited: 14 June 2014, 10:56
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

lishweiner:

I think the best way to determine how much of a factor the humidity in NYC will be for you in August is to think about how you choose to spend your days at home on a humid day. In Australia, on a humid day, would you be okay with venturing out sightseeing, walking outside all day, spending the day in the city, not at the beach etc. Alternatively would you spend your humid days indoors, in an air conditioned environment venturing out only if necessary going from an airconditioned car to an airconditioned facility? Likewise, when you travelled to Bali, how and where did you spend your days?

New York City is a walking city. So much of what people want to see and do requires being outside and walking, walking, walking. It makes it difficult if the day is hot and humid. Travelling by subway requires descending into a hot sauna, where you stand around in clothes feeling extremely hot and sweaty, and then a few minutes later jump on a train that is airconditioned making your damp clothing feel unusually cold after the first few seconds of relief.

As HowlandOwl expressed above, how you deal with heat and humidity is a relative and personal thing. If you have been to hot and humid places before and vowed never to return at that time of the year, well then NYC city will probably be one of those places you add to your list for August. If you cope well with the humidity elsewhere then you will not be as uncomfortable as I would be in NYC in August.

I have family that travel to the Florida theme parks every summer in early August. You couldn't pay me to do that. So again, the best way to predict how YOU will cope with NYC in August depens on how you cope with humid weather elsewhere. Finally, keep in mind that weather is unpredictable. The first half of August last year was unseasonably cool and would have been a lovely time to visit NYC.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

You will be fine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

"You will be fine."

Chances are you will be :) but since you asked the question you obviously have some concerns? When I re-read my post, it does sound pretty dramatic, lol, but I hope you get the point I'm trying to make. We are all different and tolerate heat and humidity differently. Only you know what is tolerable to you. You don't want to just survive your trip to NYC--we all do--you want to enjoy it as well :))

There is a reason many New Yorkers try to escape the city in August if they can.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

It will be hot and humid.... very sweating!

30 C temperature will feel 38 - 45 C in the hazy hot sun. It could be much hotter actual temperature as well.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

I think it would be like Brisbane in the summer. Or Sydney in February if you've been there.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in nyc in the second week of august - humidity level

We visit NY in the middle of July...is it normally very humid then as well? I had checked on normal temperatures at that time, but never thought about the humidity. Wondering if we should pack the mini handheld fan we used when visiting Orlando last June. :)