We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations please :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
847 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations please :)

Hi all,

I go in august for my fifth time and would like to try other restaurants but there are just too many to choose from!

What would be your recommendations for a nice Mexican/burger bar within a reasonable budget? My mum is not keen on Italians, infact a very fussy eater which is making my decision so difficult!

We ate at 5 napkin burger at Hell's Kitchen last year and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks

Hayley

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

Forum resident Food Guru, Ziggy has an excellent blog: www.eatingwithziggy.com which has a bit of everything in it. Have your mom look through it and see what she fancies.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

What are some of your mom's favorite foods? Mexican is not often on the list for "fussy eaters" but perhaps you have a particular type of Mexican dish in mind that is a favorite?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
847 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

Many thanks guys this is very helpful. I had a brief look at ziggys good guide and WOW there is a lot of reading!

My mum likes plain chicken, veg and dry jacket potatoes...basically no calories which is making me angry as there are so many nice places I would like to choose from!!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

If a restaurant serves chicken and loaded baked potatoes they can easily leave off the sauces, etc. for your mother.

If she's trying to lose weight I applaud her, maybe you can talk her into one "calorie splurge" meal while you are there. But it shouldn't affect what you eat. Most restaurants will "slim down" anything, just ask. No different than if she had an allergy - just tell them what you want.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

What is plain chicken ? just curious ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

a chicken with wings ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,935 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

Go where you want and just tell your mom to "watch you eat!" You can't go to NYC and miss out on all the great food. It would be a waste of a trip.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

Plain chicken is just chicken, nothing added except a little salt and pepper... I bake mine.

I want to know what a dry jacket potatoe is! I picture Mr. Potatohead in a winter coat???

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

baked potato with nothing on it I would think

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations please :)

.. a potato with a jacket.. meaning just baked;-) I first came across *Jack* potatoes in Greece back in the 90's.. no clue.. it was predominantly UK visitors there.. soon found out what it was.. a baked potato loaded with goods.. from cheese to bacon.. to whatever;-)) Enjoy all!