We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TOTR - to book or not to book?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
TOTR - to book or not to book?

Hi,

My Mum and I are arriving in NYC on Thursday evening. So excited!! We are hoping to visit TOTR first thing Friday. As far as I can see there are three options, a) book a timed slotnbefore we leave from the UK b) book an anytime slot before we leave the UK or c) Queue up on the day to get a ticket whenever we happen to arrive there. Is there a difference in price for these three options? Will there be a big difference in the amount of queuing?

I guess we will wake up pretty early due to jet lag so tempted to book an 8am/9am slot but so hard to predict how we will feel! Is it walking distance from DoubleTree Metropolitan on Lexington /57th St?

Thanks in advance.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

According to Google Maps it is a 9-10 minute walk. In most cases, that should probably be doable.

I haven't figured the tickets out myself, so I will leave that part of the question to someone more knowledgeable.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

NYC is all walkable - it's the best bit. That's about 10minutes.

Be aware that if it is raining or bad weather, they just tell you at the door that the visibility is zero and no point going up, but of course you can if you want. I saw some people had booked a timed slot and looked a bit worried but were told to just come back later whenever they wanted.

I got the Sun and Stars without a scheduled time, turned up early at 10am, asked for it to be converted to tickets, asked for 13:00 and 23:00 and the ticket printed just said 13:00 and was told to return within 24 hours whenever, so I'm guessing they are not that strict about the times and only likely enforce as a last resort when extremely busy?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

If you are going at that time I would not expect a long queue so I would probably pre book online to avoid one queue , think it is cheaper but if you do a search on the forum then you will maybe be able to find out where to get discounts on the tickets if you don't prebook. We got a couple of dollars off each using a voucher we got from our hotel but I think ths may just be same as online price.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

Personally, I only prebooked the sites that require it or that have a deal/discount for prebooking; otherwise I'm going with the flow & will go to many of the sites whenever it's convenient for me while I'm there (I will be there July 1st - 7th)....I want as much flexibility as possible...but as always it's a matter of preference....I only prebooked: The SOL/Ellis Island, an off broadway show & Madame T's wax museum (price was 33% cheaper if purchased online)...I hope you have a fab time!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
729 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

You can save a few dollars by pre-purchasing tickets on third party sites like viator or a expedia. Timed entry will be a little cheaper than open tickets. With open tickets you will have to arrive and get your final entry tickets there, (ie. Wait in line). Know that if the time slot is sold out you may need to wait a bit.

Per the previous post, if you Pre-purchase your tickets and there is no visibility, they will be happy to change your ticket for another day.

It should be noted that the TOTR is always jammed the first day after a storm.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

Ive never booked in advance

To my mind there is no need to

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,516 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

I went just before sunset and the lines were not that long. I would not book a pre arranged time as you never know what the weather would be like.

UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

We tried to go up at 7pm (sunset was just after 8pm) in May. We ahd to queue for just over an hour and were told the only tickets available that day were from 9.30pm onwards, so if you want to see sunset I would say defnitely pre-book! You can always pop in at a quiet time a few days before and buy the tickets then rather than doing it online if you prefer.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

"We are hoping to visit TOTR first thing Friday"......I doubt there would be queues early in the morning so I would just get tickets there.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TOTR - to book or not to book?

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm glad to hear the TOTR is just minutes walk away from where we are staying. It seems the general opinion is that booking a timed slot for this time is unnecessary. I did have a look on the viator website somebody mentioned (sorry, I am replying on my phone and can't see who it was now) and it seems quite a bit cheaper to buy on here (just under £15 GBP) so think so will do that just so it's done but not bother with the timed slot. Thanks again for all the advice, this forum has been so helpful in planning this trip.