We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

A Limo pick-up was arranged on our behalf from JFK to Manhattan using Six Star Limo service. Our hotel arranged this and an agreed price of $100 dollars accepted ( included tolls,tip etc). The service ran smoothly until we were delivered at the hotel where the agreed price had suddenly become $127 - according to the driver. A heated pavement dispute ensued ( not a great start to the vacation) and with the assistance and full support of our hotel we held firm on the $100.

It transpires that this is a common Six Star ploy. They recently raised there tariff and even if you booked a transfer six months ago, they will try to squeeze the new transfer fee from you.

Consequently the return journey to JFK ,didn't and never will feature Six Star. We took a standard yellow cab at $52 ($85 inc tip). A lesson learned...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

$85 inc tip for a yelow cab from JFK? SHould have been $65-70. Why $85?

Also NEVER get the hotel to book limo or car services - stick to the recommended ones from this forum

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

**Also NEVER get the hotel to book limo or car services - stick to the recommended ones from this forum**

^^

This.

Also, a yellow cab is almost always the way to go.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

Was well happy with the yellow cab service and the friendliness and courtesy of the driver - hence the high tip. There is no real formula to tipping, but if you're happy with good service why not reflect it in the tip. It was still a lot less costly than the inbound rip off from six star. When visiting a foreign country you tend to rely on the integrity of the service providers you are using, hence the use of the hotel to book the service. For me this was less daunting or likely to have less pitfalls than booking directly - in a way this worked, when things went wrong with six star the hotel was there and provided back- up - otherwise I was on my own.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

I mean, yellow cabs from JFK are ALWAYS recommended and just about always less expensive then an arraigned car.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

the hotel get a commission obviously hence why I always book it myself

6. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 13:35
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

Hmm... interesting that the website of six stars seems to be http://sixstarsofnewyork.com/ not htpny.com

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

I note the reply from the contributor purporting to be from Six Star but also note the discrepency in email response addresses which seems to relate and indicate the involvement of another company. I should point out that the circumstances I describe are as they happened on the day and that I have had no previous involvement with Six Star. I am a U.K resident and certainly not a disgruntled ex-driver. My booking reference was 599-716. There is little that Six Star can do to resolve the issue - I paid cash on the day.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

Hello,

It is Six Stars of New York legit email which comes straight to me, otherwise please use : info@sixstarsofnewyork.com or call 212 888 5466 ext.120.

Belfast
Level Contributor
12 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Six Star Limo Service - New York - AVOID...

I was thinking of using them for a transfer from JFK. it's a very special occasion and I wouldn't want it spoiled by them overcharging. Thank you for highlighting this.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 20:27