We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Playground

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC Playground

What is the best playground in NYC for BIG kids? (like 9 yr old)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Playground

Probably Central Park. Lots of space there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Playground

Central park has many playgrounds. But can you please explain what you are looking for in terms of a "big kid" playground?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Playground

I have a young child, but frequently the 9 year old is bored if the equipment is small. Just a playground with swings and equipment appropriate to his size.....

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Playground

I haven't been to every playground in the city, but there are plenty that are good for kids that age. Hecksher in central park is big and good for older kids, but you may be looking for a playground in a different neighborhood.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Playground

There are many local playgrounds with equipment that is appropriate for larger kids. Again, hard to know every playground in NY>

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Playground

Central Park, UES or UWS is great....I figure we will have to take breaks at playgrounds between restaurants and museums for us all to be happy

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Playground

on the UWS, there are some nice ones in riverside park -- hippo park at 91st is popular. there is also classic playground right near the 72nd st. boat basin, which has very old school equipment but is large and has a sprinkler. in Central park, the diana ross playground is right across from the museum of natural history. I'm not familiar with UES playgrounds.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Playground

Here is a list of all the city park playgrounds in all 5 boros.

www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/playgrounds

They also have a calendar of special events for kids: http://www.nycgovparks.org/events/kids

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Playground

Chelsea Piers?

For a list if playgrounds www.citykiddy.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Playground

I just spent the past few days with my almost-8-year-old godson and he loved the playgrounds in Washington Square Park, both the regular one in the NE corner and the new spider web climbing structure in the SW corner. :)

PS - Kaye, it's good to see you back on the forum!