We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy a winter coat?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy a winter coat?

I'm visiting in October.

Although Accueather says the week I am visiting should still be in the 60s, I'm guessing that stores will have begun to sell winter things.

I know the big department stores like Macy's should have coats but are there any other stores I should go to?

Edited: 15 June 2014, 15:31
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Soho has several Different shops on Broadway (between Houston and Canal Streets) that would be good.

If that doesn't pan out- Alternatively, For Designer discount stores -

Century 21 is popular.

They have a Burlington in Union Square now as well as a Nordstrum's.

Also not too far away from Union Square-there is a Marshall's & TJ Max on 6th Ave around 18th St.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,432 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

In October all the department stores should have coats in stock. Check Macys, Bloomingdales and JCPenney as well as the discount chains mentioned above. The department stores are likely to be running sales.

Burlington Coat Factory has several locations burlingtoncoatfactory.com/…

Edited: 15 June 2014, 16:41
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,575 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Uniqlo the stylish .Japanese clothing store has several outposts in the city. Great place to find a wide variety I of colourful puffers. This city with its numerous grand department stores, boutiques and specialty stores is a shopping Mecca. Is ther a particular type if coat you are looking for? Price point?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Not really sure what specific style of coat I'm looking for other than to have it long, maybe knee to mid-thigh. I'm looking at maybe $200-$300.

Thanks for the advice!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,950 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

To get an idea of what's around and help you decide you could look at the online websites for the stores and see what they've got.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Lord & Taylor is another good dept. store with a big selection of coats and not as crazy and big as Macy's or Bloomingdales. All 3 of those stores offer out of own visitors 10% off purchases if you register with proof of living elsewhere first (deivers license or passport). Our bank holiday Columbus day , which falls on Oct. 13 this year, is a good ime for coat sales.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Larger stores such as Macy's may have a rack of coats left over from the previous season at reduced prices. Of course, size selection is limited here.

New York City
Level Contributor
961 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Seriously, you're from Calgary and you're planning to buy a winter coat here? As one Canadian to another, may I warn you that the season known as "winter" here - and the clothing purchased for it - is about 10C warmer. So our stores have rather lightweight wool coats with wide-open necklines, the usual array of down jackets, etc. My husband layers a cotton jacket over a mid weight fleece in the winter.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

Darn.

I was hoping for something a little prettier than I would find in Calgary but I guess it makes sense that it wouldn't be as warm.

I'll look anyway then, but I guess it'll take something much more awesome for me to buy.

New York City
Level Contributor
961 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy a winter coat?

The coats at Saks will be more expensive than you're looking for. Those at Lord and Taylor might be good (and their website is pretty complete, so you could take a look there now). Burlington Coat Factory (there are a few of these in NYC) is an outlet sort of thing with simple designs. Not usually special or pretty, but you might find something there anyway. Century 21 will have the most interesting one-of-a-kind choices, including high end designers. Good luck!